Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,994   Online: 798

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for your help and advice.

It seems I'm using the wrong lensboard, my two Siriopla lensboards are for use with the 80mm lens and I do indeed need a recessed board for the 50mm.

I've just found and ordered a Siriotub 39 lensboard (which is cup-shaped) so I'll give that a go.

Thanks again,

Ben.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lensboard issue is almost certainly correct; however, for the benefit of other readers who might search for and find this thread in the future, I'll mention that there are 50mm lenses, mostly made in Russia, that have longer barrels than most. These lenses don't work well with many Japanese and Western enlargers, at least not for prints over a certain size. For instance, I've got a Russian Vega-11U 50mm lens which works well for up to about 11x14-inch enlargements on my Philips PCS130, but beyond that it's impossible to focus. On a Durst C35 I used to have, such lenses won't work at all for anything bigger than about 4x6 or 5x7-inch. Russian enlargers obviously were designed to put the lens threads closer to the negative than most enlargers people here would use. A few such lenses use a removable extension tube, and so can be easily "fixed" to work well. I've got an Industar-50U which is built like this; to use it with a Western enlarger, the extension tube can be removed and it'll work fine. Sadly, the higher-quality Vega isn't built this way.

Shooter
    35mm
    A big added benefit with my 50 is that max fstop is 2.8 whereas its 5.6 for the 80. The extra light with the 50 is a big help in focusing.

If yours is the Durst M605 by any other name don't forget the switch to the 35 box instead of the 66, otherwise the light level suffers a little.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to the remarkably quick service from an eBay seller I can confirm that the lensboard was the issue.

My new Siriotub recessed lensboard works a treat with my 50mm lens. I'm very pleased to have this problem resolved so I can get on with some printing this evening. Thank you to everyone who pointed me to the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    The lensboard issue is almost certainly correct; however, for the benefit of other readers who might search for and find this thread in the future, I'll mention that there are 50mm lenses, mostly made in Russia, that have longer barrels than most. These lenses don't work well with many Japanese and Western enlargers, at least not for prints over a certain size.
    Out of interest I tried a (rather poor quality) 50mm lens I have from an ancient Russian enlarger and have found the same thing. This lens has a long barrel and so doesn't work for anything other than small enlargements, even with the recessed lensboard.

Ben.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why then, using a Schneider 50mm on the Siriotub, can't I focus? This lensboard is correct for the lens. When using either my Nikon or Fujinon 50mm lens I don't have a problem focussing.... though admittedly the bellows are aaaaalmost fully closed up with these two - main thing is I can focus. Put the Schneider back on and I can't focus! Strange I reckon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Same prob for me, only it happens with just one of the three 50mm lenses I have. Normal operation & focusing with the Nikon and Fujinon lenses, BUT with the Schneider bloody lens it just won't bloody-well focus, the bellows are fully compacted up, won't go any further!!! I just don't get it, I've tried everything imaginable.

Shooter
    35mm
    And now another problem, albeit not a huge one. I have just picked up a Rodenstock Rodagon 50mm 2.8, the older style with the silver knobs around it.

It sits so far into the Siriotub that I cannot see the red/green glowing aperture numbers.

However, I CAN focus it.... unlike the Schneider problem above. I've since gotten rid of the Schneider anyway, no love lost. That leaves me with the Nikon/Rodenstock/Fujinon, that's quite enough!

But this not being able to see the illuminated aperture setting on the Rodagon because it is obscured by the Siriotub, has anyone else noticed this & have you been able to do anything about it???

I never for a moment envisaged having hassles of any kind with any lens on the M605!!!

I mean, sure I can count, I'll be able to use it (haven't as yet, but I would still like to be able to see it like I can easily with the Nikon (the Fujinon's aperture is not illuminated).

And, about the Fujinar, does anyone know anything about them? Formally it's the FUJINAR-E 1:4.5 f=5cm.... with the brown aperture ring & black aperture locking ring..... not much info at all out there about these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    And now another problem, albeit not a huge one. I have just picked up a Rodenstock Rodagon 50mm 2.8, the older style with the silver knobs around it.

It sits so far into the Siriotub that I cannot see the red/green glowing aperture numbers.

However, I CAN focus it.... unlike the Schneider problem above. I've since gotten rid of the Schneider anyway, no love lost. That leaves me with the Nikon/Rodenstock/Fujinon, that's quite enough!

But this not being able to see the illuminated aperture setting on the Rodagon because it is obscured by the Siriotub, has anyone else noticed this & have you been able to do anything about it???

I never for a moment envisaged having hassles of any kind with any lens on the M605!!!

I mean, sure I can count, I'll be able to use it (haven't as yet, but I would still like to be able to see it like I can easily with the Nikon (the Fujinon's aperture is not illuminated).

And, about the Fujinar, does anyone know anything about them? Formally it's the FUJINAR-E 1:4.5 f=5cm.... with the brown aperture ring & black aperture locking ring..... not much info at all out there about these.
    I have a similar problem with a Schneider 80mm lens, my cure was to post the aperture settings on the side of my enlarger and count the clicks from wide open til the desired setting.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin