Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,586   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problem using a 50mm lens with a Durst M605

Hello,

I'm returning to my darkroom after a regrettably long absence. I've hit a frustrating problem I wondered if anyone here could shed some light on (so to speak...).

I have an Agfa C66 which is a re-branded Durst M605, I have two enlarging lenses an 80mm and a 50mm. I've only ever used the 80mm lens which has been fine for my medium format work and the occasional small 35mm enlargement.

I'm now wanting to do more 35mm work. Using the 80mm lens for this means that for a 10x8 enlargement I have to have the enlarger head almost at the top of the column giving unacceptably long exposure times.

I decided to give the 50mm lens a go, but I can't seem to make enlargements bigger than about 13x18cm (5x7"). At this size the focusing stage is up as far as it will go and the bellows is completely compressed making it impossible to focus the image if I try to go any larger.

I'm obviously missing something fundamental here. I know I should be able to enlarge to well over this size with a 50mm lens so I must be doing something wrong. Does anyone have an idea of what that might be?

Many Thanks,

Ben.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure about this specific enlarger (I have a M70) but if you have a "tube formed" lensboard (Vegatub 39?) you can try reversing this one to get the lens closer to the negative. If that doesn't work you will probably have to get another lensboard made for the 50mm (maybe Sinopla 39).

Regards,
    Thor Egil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your suggestion, I did wonder about the lensboard.

My enlarger came with two Siriopla lensboards, both identical, I had assumed they could be used with both lenses. I read that the Siriopla 39 is recommended for 50-90mm lenses, so I thought what I have should be OK.

It seems odd that the 'correct' position for the 50mm lens would seem to be about half way up the bellows when they're fully compressed. This would require a heavily recessed lensboard, perhaps such a thing exists and that's what I'm missing?

Perhaps the whole focusing stage & bellows are interchangeable and I have the wrong kind?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not unusual to use a recessed lens board with a 50mm lens to overcome the problem you describe.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The M601 I used to use a lot had a "Setopla 2838" recessed plate for the 50mm lens. Without it, as you found, only small prints could be made.

It's the same plate used for some of the more modern enlargers like the Laborator 1200, so there may be some stocks available new. Jobo USA have them on their website:

http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/durst_l1200.htm

(scroll down for the accessories)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got an M70, and I have to use a recessed lensboard for my 50mm.
    I believe it's called a siriotub or something similar.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    It's not unusual to use a recessed lens board with a 50mm lens to overcome the problem you describe.
    Yes, my LPL uses a reversible lens mount - one way it's recessed for 50mm, turn it over and it projects for 80mm. I don't know the Durst but might it be that simple?
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Yes, my LPL uses a reversible lens mount - one way it's recessed for 50mm, turn it over and it projects for 80mm. I don't know the Durst but might it be that simple?
    You can't reverse the Durst boards. I tried it once, but it leaked light everywhere.
    They have a stepped side and a chamfered side - the chamfer must face down

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just checked my manual, and the correct board for the 50mm is the Siriotub 39. As I said before, I have an M70, but I think the boards are interchangeable.

Images
    I can tell you where to get the Seriopla, if you have a time finding stuff for the M605. I got mine from Barry Newhart, who does M605 repairs. He also answers questions happily. Nice guy! 610 525-69998.

I have a Lapla 39, which is more flat, for the 80mm lens and the more cup-shaped Seriopla for the 50.

Also, like I pm'd... if you ever still have problems focusing after changing lenses, sort of move that head forward a tad and back again into position - then try focusing. I often have to do that. Don't know why.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin