Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Beseler 23C vs 67SC enlargers

I have a Beseler 67SC condenser enlarger permanently installed on a wall mount capable of projecting onto a variable height enlarging table or all the way to the floor. Although this is not my primary enlarger, it is useful at times.

It appears that the 67SC uses the same chassis as the Beseler 23C enlarger which makes me think I could mount a 23C head on it with a little modification. The 23C has an adjustable condenser which sounds like an upgrade over the 67SC which has a fixed condenser. The 23C condenser is larger, too, but I only do up to 6x7 cm film and I always have my 4x5 diffusion enlarger if I ever want to go bigger than 6x7.

So here are my two questions:

1. Does the adjustable condenser buy me much?

2. Is the 67SC chassis really adaptable to mount the 23C or did I get another batch of bad weed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I think I answered my own question. From what I gather from searching the web, the Beseler "cone of light" is basically a means of adjusting the height of the condenser to provide full coverage of the size negative being used and that the only down side to using a fixed condenser is that the light won't be made brighter when you are using a smaller negative. There is no effect on the image quality. If that's wrong, please let me know.

I equate this to only having the 4x5 mixing chamber for my Chromega no matter what size film I'm using.

I'm gonna stick with the 67SC instead of upgrading to the 23C. Yippee! That leaves me with more money to spend on women and booze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know anything about the 67SC, but I do have an old 23C. As you found, the adjustment corrects the condenser for negative size. I have an Omega enlarger that uses two condensers - one for 35mm and another for 6x6/6x7 - to do the same thing. I also made many, many prints on a Vivitar enlarger that had no adjustment whatsoever. If you're happy with the 67SC, spend the money on women and booze.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Juan,

Thanks for the comments about your experience with condenser enlargers. I also had a Vivitar enlarger a long time back. I think it did 6x6 and 35mm and had no condenser adjustments. Hell, until I got my 4x5 diffusion enlarger, I didn't even know there was a difference. haha!

-Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no problem. I have the diffusion color head on my 67S and have printed both 35, 6x6, and 6x7 with even illumination. I also have the extra long 23C type chassis, along with a motor drive and power switch on it.

John, Mount Vernon, VA USA

laf

Shooter
    Medium Format

Beselers

During my research prior to the buying of an 67SC Beselr, I got this info that might be useful for you

Beseler made several different variations of the 67 lamphouse on the 23C chassis, with small differences between them. First there was the 67CS/67CS-XL. This was the basic model - 67 lamphouse mounted on the 23C type dual rail chassis, with the head was fixed in position. Following that, there was the 67SC/67SD, which was essentially the same enlarger, but with a mechanism added allowing the lamphouse to rotate for wall projection. And there was also the 67CS2-XL that had lens stage mechanisms for lens stage tilt and shift, which, with the tilting head, provided full controls for distortion correction.

Laf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Laf.

That's news. I would REALLY have liked to have the tilting lens stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya gotta love the internet, Laf. I did a Google search on that 67CS2-XL that you mentioned and actually found a place that is selling just the tilt/shift lens stage used for $30.

Tilt/Shift Lens Stage

The reason it says there are zero available is because I just ordered the one they had. Guess this turned out to be my lucky day!

I do perspective control now by propping up the easel and shimming up the negative carrier to get a little tilt. Then, I stop down the lens all the way and hope for the best. What a mess. I had no idea they had a tilt/shift lens stage for the 67.

Now, with luck, it will work ok without any additional pieces.

Thanks again!

-Dave

laf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should thank this guy, who furnished the info when I was hunting for a manual for the used 67 I finally bought. Very helpful guy

Dave Etherington
    KHB Photografix

Laf

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am bumping an old thread to keep the info in one place, above Dave says "It appears that the 67SC uses the same chassis as the Beseler 23C enlarger"

I ask because I have a 23CII XL and it's got some issues with the chassis (maligned, bad gear and some other issues) so I see on my local Craigs a 67SC for $20, which looks to have an identical chassis - is it? Should I get it, cannibalize it and then have a nicely adjusted 23CII?

Here is what is listed if that helps?
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pho/2613359095.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin