Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,388   Online: 1027

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Single filtration times

Hi all...

Is there a ballpark figure for the change in exposure time when using single filtration for contrast changes?

I know that grades 4 and 5 are generally double the time, but how about going from grade 2 to grade 3, etc...?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It depends on the paper, you need to read the data sheet. Most papers are rated at one speed for grades 0-3, and as you say, half that speed for grades 4-5. The Ilford papers I use certainly behave this way.

The Fomatone MG Classic I tried for the first time recently has a different speed rating for each contrast grade according to the data sheet. I was split-grade printing so didn't have to make allowances (well, I did of course, but it was built into the process rather than having to calculate the different when switching grades).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That very question is what drove me to split grade printing. Despite the instructions saying that there is no change in times between grades 0 and 3, and 1 stop when going to 4 or 5, my experience was that the time wandered all over the place when I changed filters. I would do a test strip with one grade, determine the highlight time, then change filters to get the shadows right....which typically affected the highlight time. Changing that time again might affect the shadows...and round and round. It seemed like I spent half of my time in the darkroom trying to pin down time and grade to get the shadows and highlights that I wanted. Now, 2 tests and I've got my base exposure nailed.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    All I'm certain of is that the EM-10 gives consistent exposure times across all grades, by adjusting the aperture to give the same reading in the highlights.

It doesn't take many test prints to save the cost of a meter...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My starting point is to consider the speed of the paper, what exposure is required without a filter and then I figure using any filter from 00-3.5 will cost me one stop. Then from 4-5 it will cost me one more stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    That very question is what drove me to split grade printing. ----- Now, 2 tests and I've got my base exposure nailed.
    Indeed. If you haven't tried split grade I highly recommend it. There is so much control built right into the process I don't use MG paper any other way.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin