Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,938   Online: 995

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paper Flashing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Paper Flashing.

Hi All

Just a quicky.

When flashing a small part of the printing paper (selective flashing) Do I need to move the card that I am flashing through, the same as burning a print, or is it o.k to just sit the card some distance from the easel and let the light do its thing.

Thanks

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stoo, move the card just you would when burning in otherwise there could be a danger of creating an obvious edge to the flashed area.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
    Hi All

Just a quicky.

When flashing a small part of the printing paper (selective flashing) Do I need to move the card that I am flashing through, the same as burning a print, or is it o.k to just sit the card some distance from the easel and let the light do its thing.

Thanks

Stoo
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for that Les.

Your timing was perfect as I am just about to shut the door and turn the lights out.

Kind Regards

Stoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
    Stoo, move the card just you would when burning in otherwise there could be a danger of creating an obvious edge to the flashed area.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't be a bad site when you have almost the equivalent of Les in the darkroom with you.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello:
    Do you have an opinion about the paperflasher made by RH Designs?http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...erflasher.html
    It is not a good idea to flash with the same enlarger your are working with, so I am looking for another way.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Henry: I took a darkroom seminar with Les McLean last summer, and he highly recommends the RH paper flasher.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    Hello:
    Do you have an opinion about the paperflasher made by RH Designs?http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...erflasher.html
    It is not a good idea to flash with the same enlarger your are working with, so I am looking for another way.
    Thank you.

I have one in my darkroom. Nuff said?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    Hello:
    Thank you.
    Can you tell me why it's not a good idea to print and flash with the same enlarger? If you're thinking that pulling and replacing the negative is necessary, it's not. I've done this a lot in a production darkroom for custom hand made prints. I put a single layer of translucent milk-white plastic (perspex) in direct contact with the bottom of the enlarger lens and found through testing that a certain percentage of the main exposure gave me a good preflash exposure. That will vary with your set up, but it's simple and relatively easy to test for. If you have an enlarging meter, you could also test for what would be a measurable consistent preflash exposure.

I'm not saying that a dedicated preflasher like the RH Designs model isn't a great tool. I'm saying that there's nothing wrong, inferior, or particularly hard about using the enlarger you're printing with for preflashing.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use the same enlarger for preflash and can't see why it should be a problem. Although I must confess I have my eye on RH Designs paper flasher. Although the wife has already got me socks and pants for Christmas, so will have to wait 'til next year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Although the wife has already got me socks and pants for Christmas, so will have to wait 'til next year.
    Good thinking. I understand that the use of pants for preflashing or flashing outside the privacy of your own home is not recommended.

I intended, but neglected to mention that a white styrofoam drinking cup held over the lens also works well for preflashing with the enlarger and the negative still in place.

Lee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin