Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,939   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://www.beselerphoto.com/Enlargers/23ch...ht2/23cht2.html

Claims 19x28 for the 23CIII-XL with the normal lensboard. Considering even my old Omega with a short column can do bigger then 11x14 you'd think the Beseler 23C could.

Ken

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ken @ Apr 17 2003, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I frequently enlarge 6X9 negatives and double-checked that it was set for the right format, though it was set for 35mm I have in the past forgotten to make the adjustment.
    I have tried longer focal lenghts and that only reduced the image size. It would seem that a wider angle would work but at the expense of losing some of the image.
    The recessed lens seems to be the best solution and I will give it a whirl this weekend.
    Again, I thank all of you for your input.
    Regards.
    Ken </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    My (old) 23C can still crank up a considerable amount, projecting an image well beyond 11X14. It even tilts in the event you want to project an image onto the wall (liquid light anyone?) The problem is getting the image (that size and/or larger) to focus. If I could just squeeze the bellows another half inch....... The reason the recessed lens might do the trick. I will see tonight. The spanking new 23CIII XL probably has all the bugs worked out. It is a 120 enlarger to begin with and handles 6X9 like a champ.
    Regards,
    Ken

Ken

Well......I don&#39;t know how that quote thing happened...........Must be the heat.
    Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, I have Meopta Opemus 5 (up to 6x6cm) enlarger who comes with 80mm lens as standard. Max. enlargments from 35mm negative in standard configuration is 18x24 cm(or 13x18cm, don&#39;t remember well, I didn&#39;t use standard configuration for 35mm long time...). So, if I want to make bigger enlargments from 35mm negative I use one of next three procedures: 50mm lens and turn lens into enlarger(lens goes into bellows, closer to negative)). 50mm lens and turning lens carrier upside down(lens carrier for my enlarger is conus shape, so lens comes closer to negative). Or 80mm lens and put enlarger on edge of desk, turn enlarger head 180 degrees and put paper easel on floor. Or fourth, I never used it, turn enlarger head 90 degrees for wall projection. Maybe to try something of this if your enlarger allowes you to...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, to add, with second option I do 90% of my prints, and can easilly focus for 24x30cm prints. Even bigger, but I don&#39;t do bigger prints...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Ken

Turning the lens upsidedown sounds like a great idea and there seems to be enough room for that. It might save me the hassle of constructing a lens board.
    I also have a 75mm and 105mm lens and perhaps I could give the projetion option a whirl as well. I will be giving it a go this evening. I
    Regards.
    Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ken @ Apr 16 2003, 03:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Greetings,
    I was attempting to enlarge 35 mm negatives to 11X14 with my 23C and 50mm lens. I found that I cannot focus the image when going that large. The bellows are compressed to the limit. If I crank the enlarger head down a bit I can focus the image though the image is roughly 10X12. Not as large as I would like them to be. Is there a way I can get larger images from 35 mm negatives using this enlarger? Regards.
    Ken </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Hi Ken:

Are you using TechPan? I know that -that film- will still look ok from 35mm film to 11x14 paper. Unless you are going for the "grainy" look, I think you are in MF territory for that paper size. Of course, I have a similar dillema, I just bought some post card paper and my favorite negs are 4x5. I am trying to figure out how to get my enlarger to print 4 7/8 x 6 7/8 prints from 4 x 5 negs with a 150mm lens. Sort of like using a Honda Civic to pull stumps, It can be done .... once maybe ..... if you have all day ..... a lot of help shoveling .... and don&#39;t mind buying a new clutch.

I will have to concede that if you are doing this in color (silver grains bleached out and no accutance) or with chromogenic film (monochrome color C-41 process film) 11x14 prints are pretty smooth - not real sharp, usually, and kind of mottled looking but no grain. I think most 35mm negatives make great 5x7 prints and sometimes really good 8x10 prints. Then .... well ..... I guess you have to like the look of the grain. I was at an art exhibit and there was a B&W 11x14 print there that won some awards - I looked at it and commented to the artist about how much I liked here composition and her use of HP5 film - I recognized every grain on it. The same could be said about the runner up done in TRI-X - instead of flat mushy looking grains it was little grain dots. Either way - what a shame&#33; really well done compositions in dots and mush. - I recently bought a Yashica MAT on EBAY for &#036;75. It makes great 11x14 prints - even better 8x10 prints. It is my knock about - work trip - catch as catch can camera. Not the serious Rollei or the knock them dead Tachihara/Rodenstock combo. Just - I might get lucky and catch something cool camera. My Zeiss/Contax 35mm system is now just for family snapshots. Like any race car driver will tell, there is no substitute for a bigger engine. ...... unless you like looking at the grain ....

Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin