Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,050   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

WTH is Plasticene?

Was just reading a good book written in UK about Master Class in B/W printing, and they talk about putting "plasticene" on a wire to use as a doging tool.

Being in redneck country, we do not have a clue as to what that is, or what could be a substitute.

Brits of the world, arise to the occasion!

Give us poor colonials the answer!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Plasticene

oops, dodging, not doging

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's oil based clay... you can shape a wad of it, and stick onto the end of your dodging tool, and change the shape. It has the benefit of mot drying out very easily, so you can change its shape easily.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fun tack!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kinda like Silly Putty but firmer. Or like plumber putty but less messy, play doh like shapeability. Good idea for odd shapes. Must try next time I'm in the dark.

Shooter
    35mm
    As someone from The Colonies (aka Canada), growing up we used the brand name "Play Doh" as a synonym for the more generic "plasticene". Not sure if that's available in your area, either, though.

Basically if kept covered it's a non-toxic re-shapable clay-like substance that kids play with, and make various structures and basically whatever you want to do. It will dry out eventually, but if you cover it when not in use it lasts indefinitely. It does come in a variety of colours, for b&w dodging that probably doesn't matter too much

I have no idea if there's a more generic analog - modeling clay, maybe? Never used it, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: Darn, beaten to the punch
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Go to the hardware store and buy some rope caulking; it works very well for that very purpose and it's cheap.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I always thought it was something porter's were made from, with looking glass eyes....must be a generational thing.

erie
    Last edited by epatsellis; 12-10-2007 at 11:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis View Post
    ....must be a generational thing.
    Or perhaps it's all the LSD used by that generation?

By the way, it's "looking glass ties".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You had a seriously deprived childhood! Plasticene of many colours was a favourite in kindergartens across Australia. My parents were teachers so there was always buckets of the stuff lying around in my youth. (I'm sure there is a US equivalent with a different name.) Think of a less sticky version of Blu-Tack which by the way is also a good alternative for shaping a small dodging tool.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin