Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,791   Online: 1055

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fred Picker's Printer Video

Hi, I saw some excerpts from a video of the late and great Fred Picker explaining his film testing, developing time testing and proper proof printing techniques. I have the book and very much enjoy his clear style of writing and unique insights. I have been looking to purchase a copy of the video but have not had any luck here in Europe - does anyone know of a source (preferable on DVD, since I no longer have a VHS tape player and the US and European systems are incompatible anyway)?
    Thanks, Hal

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this is a very old video(in current modern terms) perhaps you could find someone who has a copy who could take it and have a Dvd made as i doubt it ever came on anything but a video.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have all three tapes, a DVD burner on the computer. But alas, no knowledge of how to get one to the other.

For awhile a guy was selling these on DVD on ebay.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I have all three tapes, a DVD burner on the computer. But alas, no knowledge of how to get one to the other.

For awhile a guy was selling these on DVD on ebay.

Mike
    You have to turn analog video into a digital signal to record on DVD, this requires a separate piece of equipment between the VCR and the computer, or you could just record to a stand-alone DVD recorder designed to record from TV, and they also make these TV recorders in combo decks with a VHS player and DVD recorder in one box..one touch transfer from tape to DVD. Wal-Mart has them.
    They are not expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You could also order a more modern and updated version done by Bruce Barlow. See the details on his website http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com/. Bruce and I and Richard Ritter do workshops and Bruce and Richard both worked with Fred.

I think Bruce's is better than Fred's.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    Hi, I saw some excerpts from a video of the late and great Fred Picker explaining his film testing, developing time testing and proper proof printing techniques. I have the book and very much enjoy his clear style of writing and unique insights. I have been looking to purchase a copy of the video but have not had any luck here in Europe - does anyone know of a source (preferable on DVD, since I no longer have a VHS tape player and the US and European systems are incompatible anyway)?
    Thanks, Hal
    Frankly I wouldn't worry so much about not seeing the tape. It wasn't that great to begin with IMO.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I thought the video was excellent, as are his others on shooting and exposure. Fred was a superb teacher and his printing video has plenty of good tips even for experienced printers. It's worth the effort to get them and they sometimes show up on eBay. Good luck getting them!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Get Bruce Barlow's Book he has updated the info and describes an easier way of doing the test. Also it does not have the errors the tape has.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought a sony vhs / dvd recorder and have converted all my fly tying tapes and photographic tapes to DVD. Plus you can watch DVD's as normal. OR watch the DVD's and copy them at that time. It is 1:1 so it is not a fast copy.
    To purchase one. go to ebay they do sell Fred Picker stuff all the time. I bought three of his prints and all his tapes and books on there.

Mike Andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    You have to turn analog video into a digital signal to record on DVD, this requires a separate piece of equipment between the VCR and the computer, or you could just record to a stand-alone DVD recorder designed to record from TV, and they also make these TV recorders in combo decks with a VHS player and DVD recorder in one box..one touch transfer from tape to DVD. Wal-Mart has them.
    They are not expensive.
    Buy computer card which is VIVO (Video In Video Out) or Video in card, and that is harware you need for transfer VHS on DVD with PC. But, you need software, so buying VHS/DVD integrated player(s) is better solution, for two reasons: Price of VIVO PC card is same as(cheaper) VHS/DVD player/recorder, and you don't need softvare

And, (as I know, and I think I know ) every video transfer is "real time" that is 1:1, that is if video on VHS is 1 hour long, it take 1 hour to transfer to DVD. In fact transfer is longer than 1 hour for 1 hour video because of conversion and other calculations conversion softvare has to make. And after that there is time for authoring of DVD. Then, if you make DVD menu structure, etc... In short, tranferring of 1 hour video can be 1 hour and 30 minutes or easily even longer.

All these are reasons for using VHS/DVD player/recorder for simple transfering. Only if you really want to make DVD menus, subtitles adding or removing, and other DVD authoring jobs, then you need computer for VHS to DVD transffering.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin