Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,629   Online: 1076

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Corfield Focus Finder

Hi,

I've never felt the need to use any kind of focussing device when enlarging, but was interested to find in a box of bits I recently purchased a device called a "Corfield Focus Finder". The Corfield in question would seem to be Roger Corfield of Periflex fame and the device is a small, black plastic two inch cube with a wedge shape chopped off one of the top corners. On the resulting top horizontal rectangle is a clear window, down which the image is projected from the enlarger. This is reflected by a mirror on to the inside of a ground glass screen on the chopped off face. Great play is made in the instructions of how the image seen is so much brighter than that normally seen on the baseboard - and indeed this is so. The plastic used is of a hard type and the blurb stresses that the accuracy of manufacture is to plus and minus two thousandths of an inch.

Not having used or researched enlarging focussing aids, perhaps this is a common approach, but it's certainly different to my only other knowledge of the grain focussing technique.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't you mean Sir Kenneth Corfield, the engineer.

Ian

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Don't you mean Sir Kenneth Corfield, the engineer.

Ian
    Oops! Thanks for correcting me, Ian.
    Where did I get "Roger" from?

Thanks for the link.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many manufacturers made them, some find them easier to use.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin