Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,221   Online: 667

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received John Sexton's latest book "Recollections" for Christmas. The images, for the most part are very sharp. I don't know how much he uses usm but the images in the book appear a fair amount sharper than most of my 4x5 enlargements.

vinny

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here is a link to Radek Photography that has a lot of info, including masking kits you can purchase. I first heard of Lynn Radek from Bruce Barnbaum's book, "The Art of Photography," in which Barnbaum goes into this technique in some detail and recommends the Radek masking kit. Anyway, surf his website and you can see examples of how the technique affects prints, workshops, etc.

http://www.radekaphotography.com/maskingkits.htm
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Howard Bond

Anyone that has taken a workshop from Howard Bond on printing has learned a little something about the value of unsharp masking for enhancing apparent print sharpness. Howard is a master photographer and printer. He taught workshops for the zone system, large format photography, basic and advanced printing and unsharp masking for many years. Recently he claims to have given his last workshop.

When taking a printing workshop much time is spent looking at fine prints as a learning tool. In these studies Howard shows you prints developed years ago conventionally next to more recent prints using unsharp masks. There is a noticeable improvement in sharpness. These are all prints from large format negatives, many of them 4 x 5's.

For many years Howard has published technical articles in Photo Techniques magazine. As an enhancement to his teaching, he would provide a copy of these articles to his workshop students. The package I have goes back to about 1985. There were two articles dealing with unsharp masks with references to the technique in a number of his articles.

One is titled Making Unsharp Masks for B&W Negative dated Jan/Feb 1996. The other is Unsharp Masking Update dated Sept/Oct 1997. I could scan these for anyone interested. Send me an email with your address.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would recommend Lynn Radeka's negative carrier/mask aligner and his workshop. Trying to visually align a negative and mask with tape or pins is not easy, not to mention you have to realign if you want to make a new mask or store the negative separately. His anti newton class carrier is also the mask contact printing frame and you can slap a mask onto the carrier with the neg in an instant!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wildbill,

I have seen quite a few of John Sexton's originals and own a few, including one that is in his latest book. Not all of his photographs use unsharp masking. The sharpness in his photographs is mostly a result of his careful attention to details, calibration of all of his equipment, and his skill. The books do have to be printed with some sort of masking (I don't know a lot about book printing), but the original silver prints are extremely sharp. But do not fear, not one of my own photos is as sharp as any of his. When visitors see his "Corn Lilies, Dusk" on my wall, they have a hard time believing that it is a photograph since it is sharper than any photograph they have ever seen.

I guess it helps when you don't just buy a lens of a particular focal length, but pick the most optically accurate from a set of identical lenses, and things like that. Take his expressive print class and you will see that he is meticulous in every aspect of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Being fairly new to APUG but have attended John Sexton's 'Fine Tuning' workshop and highly recommend it if it is possible. John and his wife, Anne, are amazing team. The week was more than worth the $$ spent. He's in CA. and I am in ME.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I am just getting started with unsharp masking techniques and found this link very helpful- thanks!

JMB

Shooter
    8x10 Format

McNutt and Jili [ unsharp masks, contrast masks, highlight masks and color masks]

Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    I have a copy of a 3 part article by Mark Jilg and Dennis McNutt on masking and how to make masks.

If you would like a copy then send an email with just "masking" in the subject line and nothing else in message. Send request to:

masking (at) visualperception (dot) net

I'm only going to send this once in a day or two.
    Dear Rob or Others,

Would you mind sending out another copy of the McNutt - Jilig article? I just ran across this thread today after spending some time researching the techniques.

Thank you and Warm Regards,
    Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Dear Rob or Others,

Would you mind sending out another copy of the McNutt - Jilig article? I just ran across this thread today after spending some time researching the techniques.

Thank you and Warm Regards,
    Joe
    I'd love to get a copy of this as well. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chuck, Howard Bond from Ann Arbor, MI taught photography workshops for many years. He is a master B&W photographer and printer. He is a strong believer in using unsharp masks for traditional B&W printing from 4 x 5 negatives. He wrote several articles over the years covering his techniques. I have scanned copies of these which I will be happy to forward to you. Send me an email requesting them: lcs7@bex.net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin