Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,375   Online: 1082

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msage View Post
    Hi
    I do it a little different. First, I almost never make a contact sheet, it is a waste of time and paper IMHO.
    How so? Do you honestly make prints of each negative or do you look at the density of the negatives and choose the one that look correct? Do you shoot varying subjects and scenes per roll, or do you not use any roll film and are single sheets only?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    How so? Do you honestly make prints of each negative or do you look at the density of the negatives and choose the one that look correct? Do you shoot varying subjects and scenes per roll, or do you not use any roll film and are single sheets only?
    I too seldom make contact sheets. But this depends on the format. If I shot 35mm or medium format I would have to make contact prints. But with 4x5 and up I can usually tell which negatives will be easy/difficult to print. I can tell which are underexposed and probably not worth the effort. Also, with large format I am unlikely to print 50 negative like snapshots. Each print will be time intensive so I start with test prints (rather than strips) if I print 11x14 or smaller. With larger prints, I used 8x10 test strips until I am ready for a pilot print.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why's Clayne resurrected a 2 year old thread ?

I haven't made a contact sheet off my own negatives in years, I can read a negative far better than a contact sheet, but I've stopped using 35mm for the moment.

It's really what you are used to, coming from a commercial background and printing a wide variety of other peoples negatives as well in the past means assessing a negative for contrast exposure and basic dodging & burning is straight forward, and it's even easier with my own negatives.

Ian.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Why's Clayne resurrected a 2 year old thread ?

I haven't made a contact sheet off my own negatives in years, I can read a negative far better than a contact sheet, but I've stopped using 35mm for the moment.

It's really what you are used to, coming from a commercial background and printing a wide variety of other peoples negatives as well in the past means assessing a negative for contrast exposure and basic dodging & burning is straight forward, and it's even easier with my own negatives.

Ian.
    Sorry, wasn't intentional. I think it might have come up in a search and I had it in a background tab. Hey, conversations pick up right where we left off, eh? :-)

I'd personally go insane without contacts as it's uncommon for me to have the same situation in each frame.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin