Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,994   Posts: 1,524,269   Online: 999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like what you need is a contrast mask for the non-sky parts, to add a bit of neutral density to everything else. You need to create what they call an "unsharp mask" to overlay on your negative in the carrier. There are some good resources out there on the internet as to how to do this. Howard Bond is the guru of this technique - look up his writings.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll check out the unsharp masking and try flashing just the sky. Also, I should have been more specific in that I was only burning in the sky for 18 seconds at grade 00 (it was getting to be about midnight and I wanted to shut 'er down) so I will give it the full 100% of 18 sec. at 00 and 21 at 5. Thanks a bunch guys! If I can get myself to a scanner today I'll post one.

- Justin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    An old school tech is use graded paper, dark red matt acatate the same size as your final print, place the acatate in the easal, project onto the acatate and draw the outline of the trees, cut out the mat from the acatate, print your base exosure for the for ground, use a red filter over the enlarger lens to position the mat, the make a test strip for the sky and then the final exposure.
    That sounds interesting. I've used a technique on a difficult negative that is almost the reverse. I used an overlay of clear acetate, and used Red and orange pens to colour the areas that I wanted to hold back. In fact I used several layers to both build up density and avoid hard edges. Each layer was lifted out of the way after the appropriate exposure.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    That sounds interesting. I've used a technique on a difficult negative that is almost the reverse. I used an overlay of clear acetate, and used Red and orange pens to colour the areas that I wanted to hold back. In fact I used several layers to both build up density and avoid hard edges. Each layer was lifted out of the way after the appropriate exposure.
    Lootens has a discussion using New Coccine, using red and orange pens seems easier than using Coccine. I have a copy of Bigger and Better The Book of Enlarging from 1952 which has chapter on using the Emmermann Process, I tried it and it does work, with the right paper, but is too messy for my small darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By the way, the pens I used were the type designed to write on overhead projection slides, they use spirit rather than water based inks.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin