Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,994   Posts: 1,524,269   Online: 999
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,257
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    435
    Sounds like what you need is a contrast mask for the non-sky parts, to add a bit of neutral density to everything else. You need to create what they call an "unsharp mask" to overlay on your negative in the carrier. There are some good resources out there on the internet as to how to do this. Howard Bond is the guru of this technique - look up his writings.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nanaimo, British Columbia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    907
    Images
    4
    I'll check out the unsharp masking and try flashing just the sky. Also, I should have been more specific in that I was only burning in the sky for 18 seconds at grade 00 (it was getting to be about midnight and I wanted to shut 'er down) so I will give it the full 100% of 18 sec. at 00 and 21 at 5. Thanks a bunch guys! If I can get myself to a scanner today I'll post one.

    - Justin

  3. #13
    Dave Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Middle England
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,894
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    An old school tech is use graded paper, dark red matt acatate the same size as your final print, place the acatate in the easal, project onto the acatate and draw the outline of the trees, cut out the mat from the acatate, print your base exosure for the for ground, use a red filter over the enlarger lens to position the mat, the make a test strip for the sky and then the final exposure.
    That sounds interesting. I've used a technique on a difficult negative that is almost the reverse. I used an overlay of clear acetate, and used Red and orange pens to colour the areas that I wanted to hold back. In fact I used several layers to both build up density and avoid hard edges. Each layer was lifted out of the way after the appropriate exposure.
    Regards Dave.

    An English Eye


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Phoeinx Arizona
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    That sounds interesting. I've used a technique on a difficult negative that is almost the reverse. I used an overlay of clear acetate, and used Red and orange pens to colour the areas that I wanted to hold back. In fact I used several layers to both build up density and avoid hard edges. Each layer was lifted out of the way after the appropriate exposure.
    Lootens has a discussion using New Coccine, using red and orange pens seems easier than using Coccine. I have a copy of Bigger and Better The Book of Enlarging from 1952 which has chapter on using the Emmermann Process, I tried it and it does work, with the right paper, but is too messy for my small darkroom.

  5. #15
    Dave Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Middle England
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,894
    Images
    2
    By the way, the pens I used were the type designed to write on overhead projection slides, they use spirit rather than water based inks.
    Regards Dave.

    An English Eye


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin