Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Omega – Scratched Condensers

At what point should one replace a scratched condenser(s)? I have an old Omega D-2V along with an Aristo cold light. Over the years as I’ve swapped between cold light and the two 6.5 inch condensers, I’ve managed to pick up a few scratches in the glass. At some point I’ve got to believe this will affect my prints, thought I haven’t noticed it yet.

Has anyone come across this? Should I replace them?

Thanks,

Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you've already answered that question for yourself. If it doesn't show, then it's not a problem. What are you worried about?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, if they don't show, don't worry. However, when you start seeing futuristic lazer war in the sky of your photo like this . . .

. . . then it is time to find replacements.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses…

I was worried that scratches may somehow affect how light travels through the condensers and that excess scratches could pose some kind of uneven exposure.

At any rate, I think I’ll replace them anyway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the bottom condenser is really close to the film, scratches may show. I'd use the best condenser on the bottom, and not worry about the top condenser.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    :oare there supposed to be two condenser lenses? I've only got the one on my beseler 45!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bobby,
    You should have one condenser assembly with two lenses in it. Each lens should have the flat side exposed, one up, one down.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Nicks are a problem and show as out of focus blobs.

Reassemble holding the top condenser with a loop of string.

Better yet, buy an extra collar for the cold light

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to reassemble using a good-sized suction cup to hold the top glass.
    I had a deep scratch in the bottom condenser which would show as a line in the print. I've another set with small scratches and I haven't been able to notice them yet. The 4x5 set just asked to be gouged and chipped when inserting and removing it. The 120 set is much more robust due to the smaller surface size of the glass.

Some day i'd like a Durst 138/S-45.. sigh. I'd settle now for a D2 with variable condenser. My D-II with worn tensioning rollers will have to suffice for the next 10 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    Some day i'd like a Durst 138/S-45.. sigh. I'd settle now for a D2 with variable condenser. My D-II with worn tensioning rollers will have to suffice for the next 10 years.
    Go to http://www/classic-enlargers.com and see if Harry can't supply you with some parts to rehab that old D2. No reason you cant do whatever you like with that machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin