Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 964

Shooter
    35mm

Pre-flashing - Color Paper Printing

I would like to know if the preflashing technique is applicable to color printing. If yes, are the procedures same as that for the B&W printing. Any resources on web? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes its applicable to colour paper, a useful technique for Ilfochromes and RA4 papers. Of course it can also be used at the taking stage with film, in fact it was used to alter contrast in slide copiers. can't help with links unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use pre flashing on colour paper all the time, it is really helpful in putting a faint tone in skys and flesh tone. I will pre flash the whole or part of a scene for the desired tone I require and let the rest fall in place.

If you cross process slide to neg , a pre flash is a very creative tool .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you seeking to accomplish when you flash Ilfochrome, since more exposure makes the print lighter?

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    What are you seeking to accomplish when you flash Ilfochrome, since more exposure makes the print lighter?
    Bob
    Flashing alters the contrast of the paper in exactly the same way as with other papers or film.

You could equally be saying flashing B&W paper alters the density of the print, by making it darker. But when you use pre or post flashing to alter print contrast you usually cut the overall exposure slightly to take this into account.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for reply. I tried once pre-flashing in color printing. It did bring a little bit (very little) details at highlight area.

BTW, how to pre-flash the paper partially? It should be difficult as there is no image on the paper (unlike normal burning / dogging for which an image can be seen).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You could make a mask that is register with the paper and flash through the mask the areas you want to affect.

Quote Originally Posted by GWHK View Post
    Thanks for reply. I tried once pre-flashing in color printing. It did bring a little bit (very little) details at highlight area.

BTW, how to pre-flash the paper partially? It should be difficult as there is no image on the paper (unlike normal burning / dogging for which an image can be seen).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin