Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,744   Online: 915

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Differences between bulblamp & coldlight

Does anybody know what the differences are in using a bulblamp condensor enlarger or one with coldlight. I've heard that two types of coldlight nowadays are available, the fluorecent tubes and the led light ones.
    My concern is, when using one of the coldlight heads, that the prints are less crispy and shows some lack in the highlights. Can I say that coldlight head systems tends more to a diffussorsystem. Is that the same for both types (fluorescent and led's)? What do you think are the Pros and Cons?
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    Does anybody know what the differences are in using a bulblamp condensor enlarger or one with coldlight. I've heard that two types of coldlight nowadays are available, the fluorecent tubes and the led light ones.
    My concern is, when using one of the coldlight heads, that the prints are less crispy and shows some lack in the highlights. Can I say that coldlight head systems tends more to a diffussorsystem. Is that the same for both types (fluorescent and led's)? What do you think are the Pros and Cons?
    I can´t comment on your specific cold light issue, but I own both a Durst Laborator L1200 with a diffusor head (Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H) and a Durst M670 with condensor head. I have never been able to tell the difference... (well, honestly I didn't do a 1:1 test with the same negative, but I have never been disappointed with the sharpness / crispness of both)

I think this issue is overrated, but that's my 2cents worth

I think it's more down to spending time to get used to a specific enlarger's response in terms of contrast, and your darkroom skills in delivering a good print. (and good eyes to check sharpness using a grain enlarging focuser)
    Last edited by Marco B; 01-10-2008 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harry most bulb type enlarges use a white coated lamp anyway so are quite diffuse, and you'd have difficulty seeing any real difference.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have cold light, color head diffusion, condenser with white frosted blub, and point source (converted Russian 35mm enlarger), point source is quite noticeable, sharper with increased contrast. I dont see much difference between the others.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin