Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,092   Online: 1236

Shooter
    Medium Format

De Vere 504 Dichromat with Colour 500 MkIIIs

Hello,

I am new to this site so hello to you. I have a De Vere 504 Dichromat with Colour 500 MkIIIs automatic exposure and 6-channel memory system and 3 Rodenstock lenses which I recently came by, and I am thinking of using it. For colour I intend to use digital 8 and 12 colour print systems but I would like to use this 504 for black and white printing, from medium format negs mainly. I have heard the filters of the Dichromat head can be set for the required contrast settings- is this the case and if so are there any guidelines? Or should I look for a B+W head?
    Please advise me. I want to use Ilford media. (Years ago I used a 504 with a Cathomag cold light head at college with fixed grade papers so I have a basic knowledge of these instruments)

Many thanks
    Cliff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cliff, welcome to APUG, excellent choice of enlarger there. I have a like unit, except it's the MKIV version.

I don't think there is any practical difference with regards to the actual filters.

My unit is capable of beautiful gradation from about grade 1/2 through to a smidgin above grade 4.

I pretty much use Ilford MGIV RC as my major paper, but I do use various fibre papers. All papers respond terrifically and even a small move like a 1/8 of a grade difference, is noticeable.

I use the Kodak setting which I find to be quite realistic. There are two ways you can do this. Just use different filters one at a time, as in yellow for soft, then use magenta for the harder grades.

I actually use the combination of yellow and magenta filters which gives a reasonable possibility of no time changes between filtration changes. There is though a slight change and basically I have found with my head that there is a 1/8 stop difference of light hitting the paper for every 1/2 stop of filter change.

You will find it a wonderful experience, go for it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome also Cliff.

Ilford (and most other manufacturer's) variable contrast paper packs come with an instruction sheet that includes a table of colour head filter values for the different grades for several different enlargers.

Additionally, you can download fuller data sheets from the Harman/Ilford website: start at http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/default.asp and click-through to any VC paper product of interest and get the Contrast Control fact sheet (it's the same document for every Ilford VC paper I believe). There are stacks of other data sheets on the site too.

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Many thanks

Hello,

Many thanks to both of you for your advice! I use digital but I always intend to continue with analogue photography too, I just haven't done any traditional developing and printing for a long time so it's a case of re-learning what I have since forgotten. No doubt I will be back with many more questions in the furure!

Thanks again
    Cliff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin