Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,391   Online: 913

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Artar as enlarging lens

Is or has anyone used the 16 1/2" Goerz Red Dot Artar as an enlarging lens and what is or was your results? I have two, one in barrel and one in an Ilex shutter.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    What a waste, but it can be done if you have a VERY long column on your enlarger. I don't want to figure the distance right now, but a 16 1/2" focal length is extremely long for an enlarger.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok for horizontal. 420mm was my shortest focal length lens for small negatives. I tried a Red Dot Artar but bought an Apo Nikkor. For my work it was just a little better with more contrast.
    For normal enlarging the Artar would work extremely well.
    Last edited by richard ide; 01-19-2008 at 12:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a componon and I'm looking for a Nikkor, I was just interested if anyone had used one and what experiences they had with one. They were used for process work in the past. I don't have the setup to use it here at home on a horizontal and certainly not on a vertical enlarger. In reading some very old threads and the net in general it looked as though some has used them at one time or the other. Just generalizations over all though.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Artar, being a "process lens" and not a "wide-field process lens" has limited covering power, and you would need to use a "longer" lens for a given negative format than you would with a purpose-built enlarging lens. I doubt you would see any improvement using an Artar, as compared to a top-tier purpose-built enlarging lens from Nikon, Rodenstock or Schneider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt,
    I used a considerable variety of lenses when I had my business. Componon and Componon S lenses were superb for pictorial work, the Componon S 360 was better than the Componon. Sharper and with better contrast. I also had Apo Tessars and Apo Nikkors. The Apo Nikkors had a much flatter field and wider enlargement range. I have a 1200mm Apo Tessar which I used for very big enlargements and found that the plane of focus was curved to the extent that I had to focus the image off center and utilize the depth of focus when stopped down and a green filter to reduce chromatic aberation. I have used all of these lenses as taking lenses but for graphic work . I am possibly being too critical regarding performance but that is in relation to the type of work I did. Your Artars are among the best of the process lenses made and will probably exceed your expectations. Have fun.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin