Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 890

Thread: Process lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Process lenses

I read somewhere that a brand of process lenses from a manufacturer I can't recall, that their lenses were so popular or worked so well or were so well made, what ever, that they were put into use as taking lenses. They were so well regarded that the manufacturer started to put them in shutters, Ilex as I remember, and sold them as primary taking lenses.

Any clues to which manufacturers or manufacturers this was? Schneider, Goertz, Cooke, ?????.?

Curt
    Last edited by Curt; 01-19-2008 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You are probably talking about Goertz and their Artar process lenses. These have been used for "taking" lenses for decades now, in addition to their use in process cameras. This is probably the most well-known brand. I think Schneider eventually purchased Goertz and continued with the Artars, but I could be wrong. Artars were made in the USA by Goertz. (Please correct me if I am in error)

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition to the Artars the G-Claron is also a process lens that Schneider have put in shutters as taking lenses. The earlier of those were actually Dagor's of which i have a 240mm. Great lenses with ample coverage and far more than the Artar.

jan

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And another addition, the Rodenstock Apo-Ronar. A dialyte similar to the the Artar and those factory mounted in shutters were Multicoated and very very sharp.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I believe it is the G-Claron I had read about, thanks Jan.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the Apo Nikkors and the Apo Germinars (Zeiss and Docter Optics).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APO Tessars.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin