Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,853   Online: 1146

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In these cases I focus on the dust! Actually I see grain with my Micro-sight on 4x5-negs.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is anyone selling the Hocus Focus in the United States?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One warning about the Hocus Focus - you have to actually hold it in place with one hand. That may not seem like much of a problem, but it is finicky enough that I cannot hold it with my (limited dexterity) right hand. As I have difficulty adjusting the focus wheel on my enlarger with that same (right) hand, it means I have a lot of trouble using it.

It would be great if it could be just placed on the easel, but it can't.

If anyone knows of an adaptation that would allow one to use it "hands free", I'd love to hear of it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Dave, I have both Paterson focus finders, as well as the top Peak model.

When enlarging 4x5 TMax 100 I have great difficulty with either to find any grain, basically because there isn't any at normal enlarging heights.

The Paterson focus units are very well made and do a perfect job, but the Peak is really easier to use if your light gathering ability with poor eyesight is a concern.

I do have quite bad eyesight these days and have found the Peak unit to be far easier to use. That said the other day with a student I was using the smaller Paterson focus aid with 4x5 TMax100 and found a line and focused on that.

Think of the Paterson units as VW Beatle cars, they do the job perfectly. The Peak unit could be referred to as a Mercedes Benz, it does exactly the same thing, but some people say it does it better, your choice.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having used both the Paterson Major Focus Finder, which is good and the Peak 2020 Focus Finder II, I much prefer the Peak. It just seems to 'snap' in and out of focus better then the Paterson model I had. This made it more positive for me at the point of focus.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One of the things I find difficult with the Paterson Finder is it realy only works well on the central part of the image.
    Move out towards the edges of the picture and it just stops working.
    What are the Peak units like for being able to see right into the corners?
    Thanks
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried the Paterson finders 30 or 40 years ago, they are barely acceptable for use, I do own a more recent model it came free with a 10x8 enlarger.

When I read about & looked at the Hocus Focus I was very sceptical but a US member of APUG asked me to get him one (I was in the UK at the time, UK sellers have minimum orders & high postage for overseas purchases) so I ordered one for myself at the same time. I'd tried a number of different focus finders and didn't expect much from the Nova product, but I recently started to have to use glasses for reading, focussing an enlarger is a problem.

So I tried the Hocus Focus and its brilliant, easy and versatile, works at the edges and you don't have to peer through an eyepiece or magnifying glass. I tried the Peak & Kaiser focus finders and they were on a par with the Paterson's.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-22-2008 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    One of the things I find difficult with the Paterson Finder is it realy only works well on the central part of the image.
    Move out towards the edges of the picture and it just stops working.
    What are the Peak units like for being able to see right into the corners?
    Thanks
    Martin
    Their top of the range model works well into the corners, but why would you want to focus them seperatly, surely if the centre is sharp then the edges will be at their sharpest too?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Their top of the range model works well into the corners, but why would you want to focus them seperatly, surely if the centre is sharp then the edges will be at their sharpest too?
    If they're not then the enlarger system is out of alignment somewhere.

When Odyssey Sales installed my Devere enlarger the engineer used the Peak 2000 (top of the range) simply to check the enlarger was in complete alignment, at the baseboard, lens and negative stage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    If they're not then the enlarger system is out of alignment somewhere.

When Odyssey Sales installed my Devere enlarger the engineer used the Peak 2000 (top of the range) simply to check the enlarger was in complete alignment, at the baseboard, lens and negative stage.
    That's my point Trevor, if the system is set up correctly centre focus should be all that's needed.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin