Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,194   Online: 992

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Focus Finder for 5x4 Negs?

I have recently moved up to 5x4 and are having difficulty precisely focusing my enlarger.
    With 35mm and 6x6, my Paterson Focus Finder was OK, I could still see the grain in the negative and focused on that.
    I am unable to do the same on my 5x4
    Any advice
    Thanks
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focus on something else. You'll have trouble finding grain. Look for lines?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the situations worse still with 10x8 negatives, I bought a focus finder 18 months ago from Nova Darkrooms, a Nova Hocus Focus. It's excellent far better than any other focus finder I've tried.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've always found the Peak focus finders work fine with 5x4, even if you can't see the grain (which is why we use large format right?) the image is clear enough to focus on fine detail. They're not cheap though!
    Not sure if you are UK-based, but here is a source: Robert White
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    I've always found the Peak focus finders work fine with 5x4, even if you can't see the grain (which is why we use large format right?) the image is clear enough to focus on fine detail. They're not cheap though!
    Not sure if you are UK-based, but here is a source: Robert White
    I have been looking at the Peak Focus Finders on the Robert White Wed Site - but at 137 + VAT I didn't want to go and buy one and find I was no better off than with my cheapy Paterson unit.
    From what you say I still wont be able to see the grain but with the Peak unit I can go and look for other details on the neg to concentrate on.
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe to try something like http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4005

It makes you to focus not on grain, but on part of the image. There are simillar products from other manufacturers (for exaple I have simillar, but smaller Meopta same type focuser, and for me it is better then Kaiser's, clearer image and easier to focus), but Kaiser is still in production, and I don't know if others are still in production. For example, Meopta not make them anymore. So, either Kaiser new or serach for secondhand...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Hocus Focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hocus Focus enables you to focus with the enlarger head high up the column without having to put your eye close to the eyepiece of the focusing implement and stretch up to reach the focussing knob. The point of the Hocus Focus can be placed anywhere on the baseboard even in the very corner and the image can still be seen to focus. It works well when placed on areas of high contrast where there is a tonal difference in the areas of light and dark in the image.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used all the focus aids so far mentioned and my experience is that the Paterson units work as well as the Peak units despite the big difference in build quality. The Paterson is available in 2 heights which can be helpful and they are plentiful and cheap on the second-hand market. As others have said, if the grain is not visible then focus on detail that is.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/...tails1.htm#low
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hocus Focus works great for me for 35 --> 6x6 --> 4x5

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin