Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just purchased one of the lenses the pro lab was clearing out. A 135mm Nikon. I'm not sure what the thread diameter it is and I need a retaining ring. I also need a lensboard for my D5 if anyone has one for sale.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most 150mm and smaller enlarging lenses are M39 (Leica Thread Mount). You can get a retaining ring from any shop that sells enlarging lenses. You might try swapping it with another lens to be sure.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Hey eric, don't run out and get a retaining ring until you get your lensboard. I have a D2 and two of my lensboards are threaded for 39mm lenses. You won't need a retaining ring if you get one of these. I have picked up a couple of em on Ebay for next to nothing.

Brian
    hi!

Images
    Also, for 4X5 you are going to need to get an extended lensboard. Mine is mounted on a 6" or so long cone.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric,
    the EL-Nikkor 5,6/135 has got a mount thread size of 50mm (a great lens BTW). The 39mm thread is usually limited to focals below 100mm (depending on lens speed).

There's a guy on ebay selling a 210 Nikkor who suggested using this for 4x5 instead of a 150mm for sharper edges, at the cost of not as big as enlargements. Do you all agree with this or should I keep shopping for a 150mm? (also has a Geronar APO 150mm lens)

Thanks,
    Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought a 150mm Rodenstock Omegaron and am very happy with it for 4x5. It is a big piece of glass and is long enough to make 8x10 easy. The lensboard is threaded and in a Omega D6XL, I have plenty of bellows extension. - Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Chris,
    a 150mm for 4x5 is more than adequate. 210mm would require a much longer extension on the enlarger column (think vibration). Additionally, the bellows would probably not be long enough and you'd have to find a lens cone. All to be avoided.

I seem to remember that the APO Geronar is pretty bad, with lots of light falloff in the corners. (anyone who knows better, please correct me.)

I think your best bet is to find a used Componon or Componon-S (newer) 150mm.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chris,
    The 210 mm lens would most aptly be used with the 5X7 format. The usual means to determine the proper focal length is to measure the diagonal of the film.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are using a 5x7 or 8x10 enlarger, I would recommend to buy a 150mm lens for 4x5. 135mm is usually a better choice for a 4x5 enlarger. Reasons:

- 135mm hardly covers 4x5 - you have to be much more precise in positioning a 4x5 in a 5x7 carrier. The coverage of a 150mm will save you some nerves.
    - a 135mm will provide lager mag-ratios on a 4x5 enlarger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin