Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,544   Posts: 1,646,139   Online: 823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I own a lab in Sydney australia and i am finding I'm getting more and more requests from professional photographers who have gone digital to scan
    literally thousands of frames from their careers as they are wanting to convert their library of film to digital.
    it is a growing area of my buisness however it is intensely time consuming.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Considering how many negatives I have that have not even been contact printed, I really should get some made for a lot of my LF negs (and even some small/med. format negs too). I want to make some more pt/pd prints this year too.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    Considering how many negatives I have that have not even been contact printed, I really should get some made for a lot of my LF negs (and even some small/med. format negs too). I want to make some more pt/pd prints this year too.
    I think I gave up contact printing 20 years ago, they don't tell me much and I can read the negatives far better. I would consider a quick neg scan into my database as that would be far more useful.

I have boxes & boxes of contact sheets but still prefer to look at the negatives with a loupe - well an 90mm f1.9 Oscilloscope lens to be more precise. From the negative I can more accurately assess the dodging & burning needed and also the paper contrast.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great thread. Inspired me to redo a couple last night.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by BirgerA View Post
    Hello all

I'm currently working on digitizing my negatives, for the purpose of having a database. In doing this I've found a few images that I will try to print and that were overlooked in the initial evaluation of the negatives.

This makes me wonder, how often do others take a look through their old negatives to see if there are any hidden treasures there?

Regards

Birger A.
    I have many oldies (negatives) and I look at them periodically. I'm looking for something I may have missed previously and often find things, some of them challenging, sometimes just to try some new materials; paper, developer, etc.

I like to view raw negatives on a light box to see all of its potential. It's the way I do it, I'm just lazy I guess!

The idea of viewing them on a computer did cross my mind, though.

Regards,

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I have a database of my negatives and keep notes this helps when going back to older negatives.
    I like the idea of scanning my old negs, what type of database are you using?

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dferrie View Post
    I like the idea of scanning my old negs, what type of database are you using?

David
    I'm using a database called PixFiler

www.pixfiler.com

and I'm quite happy with it.

Regards

Birger A.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i am doing just that now ...
    i have a stack of negatives
    and i am printing / scanning
    overlooked, unseen, outtake and outcast negatives
    from the past 15-20 years.

some of them i wonder why they were overlooked, unseen and outcast
    in the first place, and i wonder why it was that i chose the ones i chose to
    print in the first place.

i don't have enough storage for a digital catalog.
    so i just shuffle and look ( no contact sheets either ).
    someone is going to have a bunch of fun when i am dead
    (and a big dumpster to rent).

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In practice I rarely revisit a negative unless all the gelatin-silvers or platinums from it are sold out.

Years ago I figured that one of the most powerful attractions of photography was the way it facilitates the pursuit of new work. Compare this to say aquatint etching where the perfect plate is so hard-won that printing long editions of old stuff is the only way to get worthwhile productivity.

Because most negatives will never be seen again I made a pact with myself to make at least two perfect gelatin-silvers from each and every one (ok, blanks and blunders aside) before going on and exposing more film. Because editing is foregone there are no overlooked treasures lurking in the files. All the failures mis-identified as masterpieces are there too.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I learn/try new printing techniques and paper, dev., toning combinations, I’ll look back at old contact sheets and see if anything new I learned would work on a neg. I had not printed before.

I would say I look back through my old negs. About every 2 years or so.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin