Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,165   Online: 1021

Thread: Omega B-8

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Omega B-8

I have one eye on an Omega B - 8 enlarger. One thing I'm trying to get a handle on is the difficulty of switching from 35mm. to 120 negs, including (if possible) the 6*9 negs from my ancient but trustworthy Super Ikonta. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance to any who respond!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one -- haven't done any 6x9s yet -- though I just took a roll with my 50s era Brownie Target 620!

I have 50, 80 and 105 mm lenses. Each needs different mounts; flat board for the 50, and cones about 1.5 and 2 or so inches for the 80 and 105. I made cones after watching e-prey for several months without seeing any. There are two supplemental condensers, one thick one for 35 mm (50 mm lens) and a thinner one for 6x6 with the 80 mm lens. My initial B-8 acquisition was equipped for 35 mm. The lens board assembly can slide out via spring-loaded retainers and the cones or flat plate attach with two screws. Since I made my own, I keyhole slotted them so they can be changed without completely removing the screws. The supplemental condenser installs in the lamphouse above the main condenser pair. Switching isn't a big deal -- although it's not instantaneous. You could surely do 6x6 without the thin supplemental condenser and use the 105 lens unless you're going for really big enlargements. I can do about 18x18 inches from a 6x6 with the 80 mmm lens and the standard enlarger column.

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 01-20-2008 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ruttan View Post
    I have one eye on an Omega B - 8 enlarger.
    One thing I'm trying to get a handle on is the
    difficulty of switching from 35mm. to 120 negs,
    including (if possible) the 6*9 negs from my
    ancient but trustworthy Super Ikonta.
    Any thoughts?
    Right off I'll clue you in to the use or no use of
    the supplemental condensers. Any format up to
    maximum can be used without the use of the
    supplementals. The two large condensers
    provide light coverage for any format.

Use the supplementals when making large
    diameter long exposure enlargements from
    small format film; 35mm.

I've a 105mm Nikkor on my B8 at this time.
    A good focal length for making less than Big
    prints from 6x4.5 and up. An 80mm with 35mm
    should do well. The extra clear distance twixt
    lens and easel allows room to work. Exposure
    times are increased to realistic values. The
    B8 is fast. BTW the B8 is the 6x9 version
    of the 4x5 D2.

I've two B8s, one disassembled with some
    extras. Interested? Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but a friend is offering to sell me his B8 and some other equipment as part of his transition to the big D. Neither of us know what it is worth on today's market. Its supposed to be in great shape with a 100mm f/5.6 companon S lens. Does anyone know what a fair price for this would be?
    Thanks,
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last year I paid $10.00 for a B7 (autofocus version) with the same lens & 35mm & 6x6 carriers. I can't stand the autofocus. I feel the B8 would be much better.

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid $20.00 for a D2, no lens, about 18 months ago. It did have six negative holders and several lens boards. Enlarger prices are all over the place, but good ones can be found very cheap.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In spring 2006, I paid $80 for my B8, in good shape and equipped for 35mm with the thick supplemental condenser, the 6-element Nikkor 50mm f2.8 and a 35mm glassless negative carrier. I've since acquired other lenses at $20-$40 or so prices and other carriers in the $10 to $15 range.

In two years of monitoring, I've yet to see the extension cones for the longer lenses, but fortunately it wasn't all that difficult to make substitutes.

DaveT

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin