Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is your grain focuser correct?

I mean:
    - Did you check it against another one?
    - Did they both focus at the same point?
    - Am I just too nervous?

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day matti

why dontcha just make a print with it and see how it looks?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I mean:
    - Did you check it against another one?
    - Did they both focus at the same point?
    - Am I just too nervous?

/matti
    Mine isn't.

I've checked it against prints, and against prints made after focussing with a loupe directly on the paper, and against prints made after focusing with the "crossed slit" which the negative carriers have on both my enlargers.

The grain focuser is off enough to make soft prints. The neg carriers are spot on...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work in a school darkroom (when I get in there) and I've found quite a bit of difference from one grain focuser to the next, even when they are all the same brand and all new. Check your own and adjust until you get it right. I don't trust any one of them until I'm happy with a print that that particular one gives me. Most have some way of adjusting the lens.

Problem is... I can't seem to keep them assigned to individual enlargers ( see the "school" comment.) Shouldn't be a problem if you're the only one using it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a generic 30 dollar Grain Focuser and it isn't accurate! So I invested in a PEAK Professor Z.Koana model #2000 system Enlarging focuser
    and having compared 3 of them with one another they are all the same accuracy. Totally accurate!!! I love these focuses the are the best design Ive ever encountered.
    they have 30 degree angle of coverage. I will be honest though I don't quite see an advantage of the Blue filter. im told because the paper is sensitive to blue light the blue filter lets u focus the blue wave lenghts more accurately. Who else uses this focuser and can anyone tell me where this may come into play for me.

~Steve

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Mine seems to be correct. I checked this with a magnifier on a final print. The good thing, it is in sync with my eyes. I always first focus by not using a grain focuser on the back of an old working print of the same paper. Then I only check with the grain focuser and in 95% the print is already in focus. When I then stop down by two stops ...

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have two cheap plastic ones and both work perfectly. I use a scrap of paper of the same thickness as my printing paper on the easel when I print.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my eyes. Printing at stop 5.6 I never had any problems with sharpness. I have never used a focuser.

Shooter
    35mm

Testing

Testing and adjusting the autofocus on my enlarger I noticed that my Paterson Minor and Major focuscopes did not agree. I got a Peak 111 and that didn't agree with either. I picked up a Focoblitz which focuses the image onto a sensor and then displays it on a small cathode ray tube - great as you don't have to do contortions as you do when using an eyepiece with the head at the top of its column. Expensive, though. This didn't agree with any of them either. So I put the enlarger head at the top of the column and printed the centre of a grainy negative onto 5x7 paper at maximum aperture with the focus set to show the grain according to each of the 4 grain focussers. The focoblitz was easily the most accurate, as well as the most expensive, showing sharpest grain. Whether the inaccuracy of the others matters when you have closed down a stop or two I have not tested; probably not. Certainly I relied on the Paterson Minor with non-autofocus enlargers and also for setting up a Focomat V35 (which has perfect auto-focus) for 30 years, and never felt there was a problem. It was only when I acquired a Durst DA 900 with non-original lenses last year, and tinkered with the autofocus set-up that I realised that grain focussers are not super-accurate.
    PS Tim Rudman in his book says he does not think using spare paper under the focus-scope makes any difference

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar Wolf View Post
    I use my eyes. Printing at stop 5.6 I never had any problems with sharpness. I have never used a focuser.
    Yeah, there's no point in worrying about it if you have to go in on your printswith a high-powered loupe to even notice it. If it looks razor sharp in hand or mounted on the wall, who cares?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin