Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,118   Online: 733

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Hi Ole,
    No worries about my workplace. I'm the prude one compared to the other people here.
    But I have never seen what you are describing as soft printing in Mapplethorpe's work. Looks pretty sharp to me.

/matti
    It's pretty obvious to me, but I know what it looks like when done right - I used to do it far too much.

More than half the portraits and self-portraits on http://www.mapplethorpe.org/selectedworks.html are softed in printing...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole-

There was a model of the VERITO made specifically for enlarging. It has a slot for Waterhouse stops. The stops were geometric shapes such as stars. I own one but it lacks the special stops... Most of the major pictorialists opposed diffusion in the darkroom as the blacks bleeding into whites were such an unnatural appearance (Kenna obviously didn't read their statements).

Russ

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I know it is not the place but welcome back Ed.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aha. Here I see it: http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portraits3.html

/matti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    It's pretty obvious to me, but I know what it looks like when done right - I used to do it far too much.

More than half the portraits and self-portraits on http://www.mapplethorpe.org/selectedworks.html are softed in printing...
    (Did not catch the above post before I posted)
    For example Isabella Rossalllini (sic), see how the dress bleeds into the skin, rather than the other way around.
    I think you need wrinkle free skin for this since it is the opposite of hiding wrinkles by the more usual bleeding light into the darker wrinkles.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose diffusion with stocking/vaseline is the same as using a soft lens when enlarging as we are talking about flat surfaces compared to a taking lens where softness and out of focus areas is connected and a soft lens and a soft filter gives a totally different image. Or?

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I quite often use two 5x7 mats sandwiching two layers of Saran Wrap for this. It is particularly effective for my more vain clients! It is a very different "effect" from a Softar on the camera lens.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    (Did not catch the above post before I posted)
    For example Isabella Rossalllini (sic), see how the dress bleeds into the skin, rather than the other way around.
    I think you need wrinkle free skin for this since it is the opposite of hiding wrinkles by the more usual bleeding light into the darker wrinkles.
    Regards
    Bill

Good observation!

When diffusing the image at the camera lens the bright areas of the image will blend/bleed into the dark areas, and when diffusing the image while printing the reverse is true, the dark will bleed into the lighter areas - not appealing with portraits and white clothing.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some interesting thoughts here - I was thinking along the lines of how the uncoated optics might push light into the shadows or hold the highlights in some other way. That the older lens might "see" differently. Sort of the equivalent of the discussions of uncoated vs coated camera lenses.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    Good observation!
    When diffusing the image at the camera lens the bright areas of the image will blend/bleed into the dark areas, and when diffusing the image while printing the reverse is true, the dark will bleed into the lighter areas - not appealing with portraits and white clothing.
    I am **completely** lost here!

I have used a "diffusion filter" in portraiture for many moons, now, with success. I've been trying to reason out all this about "dark bleeding into light" - and vice versa ... and nothing seems to make sense.

There is now way I can determine if anyone will consider this as an acceptable procedure to everyone - or anyone - here.

Gang - try risking a piece of paper or two - you just MAY discover another useful tool for the box ... and you may not. Worth a shot at it ... no?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin