Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,482   Online: 743

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The teacher is just being an ass wasting time
    I guess the more crap you get right on a test the better it looks for the school
    How concrete can the statement "takes good photos" be on your final?

Tell your teacher to screw off with the enlarger diagrams and just teach you kids how to use em ..it takes about 2 days to become familiar with the procedure, if that. Show up with some negatives and paper in hand and ask where the f you make prints at. Nothing else concerning the enlarger really matters in a photography course esp a beginner one

Really
    Perhaps a camera diagram
    but one for the enlarger?
    Naw, no thanks.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you are making some strong statements with out knowing anything about the class, the goals , or basically anything about the instructor.

Frankly, it is important for students to understand the set up and how to use the enlarger if they are to become independed on their own and not wasting their time waiting for someone to come resure them if they have an issue with the equipment.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I remember we had to learn the parts of the enlarger before we were allowed to actually touch it. It showed we at least had a vague idea on how to operate it so we respected it too. Also helps to know the names of the parts in case anything is broken when you come to it so you can rat out the previous group of people in the darkroom
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sun of sand - back off dude. You are talking out of the wrong side on this one. Ann is right, they (the students) should have a reasonable idea of the names and functions of the various parts of the enlarger. For that matter, all the equipment they are expected to use. But they don't need to learn how to field strip, realign or rebuild the equipment. That can wait for Darkroom II next semester.

By having a reasonable level of familiarity with the equipment, they can ask informed questions. Or at the very least, derive some benefit from the RTFM exercise when it comes time for them to work on their own.

And if I was the instructor, somebody storming up and asking "where the f you make prints at" would be directed first to the soap dish to wash out their mouth, second to a dictionary so they could expand their vocabulary beyond about 13 words, third to the English department to learn that you don't end a sentence with a preposition, and fourth to the woodshed to learn some manners. If there was still class time left, maybe they would get some time at an enlarger station.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    From the bottom up-

Baseboard- the piece of wood, or whatever platform the enlarger sits on.

Easel- the thing that sits on the baseboard that holds the paper.

Column- The tube or rail that sticks up out of the baseboard, that holds the enlarger head, and allows it to move up and down.

Enlarger head- the assembly that moves up and down on the column. Moving the head up and down changes the size of the projected image.

From the bottom up the enlarger head is composed of-

The lens- collects and projects the image and controls the amount of light with an aperture, or iris.

Lens board- mounts the lens, and allows changing if the lens for different formats
    (50mm for 35, 90mm for 120), some enlargers don't have lensboards, and use a screw mount. I think the 23c has boards.

Focus knob- right side- this knob moves the lens up and down on the focus rails for focusing.

Focusing bellows- the lower bellows that allows the lens and board to move up and down on the focus rails when the focus knob is turned.

Negative slot- the slot where the negative carrier is placed located between the upper bellows and the focusing bellows. there may be a lever that opens and closes this IDK.

Negative carrier- the plate that hold the negative.

Upper bellows- The bellows above the negative carrier, allows the negative position to be adjusted according to the film format. the 23c does both 35 and 2 1/4 (120) as I recall.

Condenser housing- holds the condensers.

Condensers- located in the condenser housing, the lenses that condense and focus the light through the negative.

Filter slot- slot in the lamphouse for contrast or color filters

Lamp housing- Holds the enlarger lamp.

Lamp- Special enlarger lightbulb.

What did I leave out? I'm not familiar with the 23c.

Do I get a grade?
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-02-2008 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about nicknames for enlargers...

"Pumpkin on a stick" for those that are single column types and built like an inverted pendulum. And vibrate like one too.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Images
    Good Evening,

Ann and Rwyoung are exactly correct. Unless the demeanor and attitudes of some high school students have changed markedly for the better since I retired a few years ago, too many of them already exhibit plenty of vulgar and disrespectful behavior. They need no additional malign advice or encouragement in this area from sun of sand or anyone else.

Konical

Images
    Go out and ask for another diagram. If the teacher will not give it to you, go ask a classmate. Then fill it out according to J's description

I have dealt with people who took Sun of Sand's attitude, as a college darkroom assistant, and they annoyed the hell out of me. They usually took that attitude with everything and screwed things up then blamed everyone else. Get to know your equipment, it will help in the long run.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    Trouble is that I can see both sides here. While I don't think taking an aggressively adversarial stance with the teacher can come to any good, I also think this is precisely the sort of test that is given simply because it's easy to construct and easy to grade; it does little to demonstrate understanding. It would be far better to ask, not what X is called, but what X does.

I don't advocate abusing a teacher, but I understand Sun of Sand's anger. Uninspired pedagogy is a pain and a bore.

Before responding, please note that I come from a teaching family, and have myself taught. I have given rote tests, but am not entirely proud of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK - Let's try this.

Starting at the bottom you have the baseboard on this you usually place the enlarging easel which holds the photographic paper. Attached to the baseboard is the column (The vertical pole.)

Attached to the column is the enlarger head. The enlarger head comprises the lamp housing, (the piece where the enlarger bulb goes) the negative stage which is a gap which holds the negative carrier The negative carrier is the metal piece into which you place the negative for printing. This is below the lamp housing. Below the negative stage is the lens stage. The lens stage is the plate that holds the enlarging lens. Usually the lens stage is attached to the head with bellows. There will be two adjusting knobs on the enlarger head - focus adjustment control, (so you can move the lens closer to and farther away from the negative in order to focus the image on the enlarging paper; and the height adjustment control, which enables you to move the enlarger head up and down the column to change the size of your enlargement. The only other thing I can think of is the timer which turns the enlarger lamp on and off for the preset time. Oh, and sometimes, inside the lamp housing you may have large, convex pieces of glass, (kind of like big lenses) these are called condensers.

Hope this helps. Tell your teacher I think you deserve an "A" just based on your effort. (You can tell the teacher I deserve an A too!)

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin