Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,499   Online: 689

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    otoh - maybe white clouds look good...! Who says you need detail everywhere...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flash the paper. You will need to test for time. If you can see detail in the clouds when the image is being projected through the enlarger this technique will work brilliantly. be sure you remove the neg from the enlarger first (if you are going to flash with the enlarger); you can also use the room lights. testing in order to determine how long to flash for is rather fastidious, but nailing the technique WILL yield texture in blocked highlights.

Paper, and film, needs to receive a certain amount of exposure before it will reduce. Obviously. Flashing the paper brings it up to that point. It does lower the contrast of the photograph, and darken values. But if the flash exposure is correct, the effect on the other print values will be minuscule.

Start by stopping down all the way. Leave your filter in the enlarger. Take your neg out. Make a test strip starting with the shortest possible increments of time, this will vary according to the timer you use, leave a portion of the test strip unexposed. Process as usual. when assessing the test strip you are looking for the first hints of exposure; use the base white portion for comparison. after locating the first visible exposure, determin its exposure time and subtract 1 exposure increment. There you have your flashing time!

you may need to open the f/ if your first test yields nothing, or increase you exposure. keep the increments VERY SMALL, between 1/10-1/2 a second, control is the idea.

Best of luck.

Yours;

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great help folks!
    sparky, the white clouds kind of look like the paper base which I don't really care for so I'm trying for a little tone if You know what I mean.
    Chris, thanks much for the instructions, I just did the flashing test as you described and will give it another shot tomorrow. My fixer exhausted
    and I don't feel like mixing anymore up tonight
    Many thanks
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Erik

i'd treat it ...

as more than just a printing problem

for me the composition doesn't work, fixing the sky will do little to fix the image

i'd reshoot using a different perspective and using some technique (red filter?) to enhance the sky and clouds

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    g'day Erik

i'd treat it ...

for me the composition doesn't work, fixing the sky will do little to fix the image

i'd reshoot using a different perspective and using some technique (red filter?) to enhance the sky and clouds

Ray
    Throw the baby out with the bath water ehh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    g'day Erik

i'd treat it ...

Ray
    Well Ray, If I stuck to my good compositions I wouldn't have anything to print
    Last edited by Erik L; 02-04-2008 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik L View Post
    Well Ray, If I stuck to my good compositions I wouldn't have anything to print
    well Erik, maybe that's the area you need to learn and practice

Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well Erik, maybe that's the area you need to learn and practice

Ray
    Yes Ray, I need practice with everything I know, you gotta start somewhere

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Erik,
    To flash the paper, make your normal exposure, then remove the negative, stop the lens all the way down and expose for enough time to give the blown out areas just a little gray.

To determine the time for flashing:
    1. leave the film holder in with no film
    2. mark a strip of paper with one inch increments (10 inches long will give 10 segments)
    3. place paper under enlarger and covering all but one segment and expose for 1 sec.
    4. moving the cover do this for the other nine segments. The last segment should be exposed for 10 sec.
    5. develop and look for the first segment that shows some gray. This is your flash time for that paper at that enlarger distance.

You might also want to use burning techniques so as to not flash the entire piece of paper when flashing.

Good luck

Louis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The white clouds make the picture! Dont burn them. You can burn the edges a bit more, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin