Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,814   Online: 863

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Erik,

If you want MHO I would do very little to this image. The white clouds help give the image its luminosity, by toning them down you may deminish this quality in the image. If the clouds looked much larger in the frame, here they look quite small, then I could understand some tonality in them. But at the end of the day only you can decide.

Let us know what you think when you've finalised your print.

Regards,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Erik,

If you want MHO I would do very little to this image. The white clouds help give the image its luminosity, by toning them down you may deminish this quality in the image. If the clouds looked much larger in the frame, here they look quite small, then I could understand some tonality in them. But at the end of the day only you can decide.

Let us know what you think when you've finalised your print.

Regards,
    Trevor.
    Hi

I can only agree 100% with Trever. The print doesn't need it. When printing, I always ask myself what I would actually be seeing while in the scene with the naked eye? This photograph looks like one of them mad sunshine days, where quite rightly, and successfully, you have hidden the sun from sight of the camera lens. If you was to look at them clouds with the naked eye I would doubt very much, even with any amount of squinting, that you could actually see any detail in them clouds.

Personally, I feel that you are ready to make a final print and shut the door of the darkroom.

Best of luck

Stoo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the photo would be better if those upper left weeds weren't there. Because they are there I'd crop the photo
    I'm thinking make it either a pano with upper cut off just above halved cloud formation on right edge of frame
    OR
    square format with same upper limit but cropped in from left to where you only see a chunk of that deep shadow in bottom left corner.

The clouds are wimpy. The lower ones nearer horizon are better
    I'd flash the clouds that are left and burn with low grade filter
    I'd try diffusing em a little to see what that does
    try darkening the sky/lightening it up to see which looks best ..make it even as possible
    increase contrast of foreground
    Burn in -I call it a burn- with a high filter that central clump of growth to lighten/increase contrast/showcase it somewhat
    darken the hills in distance and lighten its highlights -increase contrast-
    Lighten up the basin area a little to separate from distant hills and foreground

I think a square format with fairly high contrast would help

That's what I'd probably do

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's a pretty good shot as it is but, if you're determined to put a little definition in the clouds, you could try burning the sky in with a G.00 filter and then (with some farmers) selectively bleach back the clouds. This will affect the lighter tones first increase the local contrast. I would suggest trying the other methods suggested first though. B.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, I'll digest and practice a little of all you have suggested and see how it works for me
    Thanks again
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember to come back afterwards and post the results. I'd love to see how you do with it.
    Gary Beasley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin