Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,453   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative 'pop'

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi all,

Recently I have been having a problem with negative pop. My condenser enlarger (De Vere) is causing my negative to buckle smack bang in the middle of my negative (6x4.5), the area size is about the size of a penny. There is the trick of re-focusing once it has 'popped' but wouldn't that leave the area around the buckle out of focus? I could always get some anti-newton glass and fit it to my carrier but what about the dust problem? Cleaning all those surfaces would turn out to be a real pain in the... you know what.

So, is all the hassle with the glass worth it? Or do any of you guys know of any tricks that would work simply?

Tim

Oh, also I am using a 6x6 carrirer so would that leave it susceptible to pop? I might find it very hard to get a 6x4.5 carrier as they don't make my enlarger any more and this particular model is not very common.
    :twisted:

Can you put heat absorbing glass into your enlarger? Between the bulb and the negative some place..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Can you put heat absorbing glass into your enlarger? Between the bulb and the negative some place..
    Agreed. Heat is the problem. Seems like there would have been something like a heat-absorbing filter in there originally - or was there some sort of fan/ ventilation system for the lamp housing?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is no fan or looks like there ever was one but I could put heat absorbing glass there. Would I put it above or below the condensers? Where can I get heat absorbing glass and would it have any effect on the light output?

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Back when I printed with condenser enlargers if I had a neg pop, I would "pre-heat" the neg and let it pop then refocus the neg. That always seemed to fix the issue. I solved the problem permanently by now using a cold light. It gets hot too, but not that hot.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just got a 12x12 enlarger that has a big exhaust fan built in, I'm hoping that removes most of the heat...

Sean I'm sure that monster you got includes everything including the kitchen sink-))

On my Omega the heat glass slot is between the bulb and the condensors.

Measure the space. If you're lucky it's the same size of one of the common enlargers.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=1602&pid=1769

If you're lucky it's the same size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks robert

Tim, contact www.odyssey-sales.co.uk the bought Devere in the late 80's and supply refurbs, new and component sales of Devere and other equipment. Their workshop and technical Dept. will be able to help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Negative pop as everyone has mentioned the heat from the enlarging lamp causing the negative to expand and buckle. The fact you are using a 6x6 carrier is not helping.

I had a similar problem with an old Jobo enlarger I had; and while is was a great enlarger the negative carriers were terrible. I ended up taking an Anti-Newton 6x6 glasss slide ount and carefully took took the glass out and taped it to the top of the carrier and that stopped the problem for me. Downside is keeping the devil dust free!! Upside these slide mounts can handle heat...ever felt the heat from a medium format projector...

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin