Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,112   Online: 910

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Daniel,
    Wow! This is an amazing transformations. What spark (creative process) led you to use a high contrast filter with diffusion? May I ask, how many work prints?

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terry,
    I decided to print this negative with diffusion to create a more impressionistic effect because what originally caught my attention was the swirling and somewhat dizzying effect of looking up through the branches. The slight softening of all the outlines gives the appearance of movement, at least to my eye. The fine details in the scene were not particularly important. When printing with diffusion you lose quite a bit of contrast and a hard contrast filter compensates for that.

Regarding the earlier discussion of negative scans/photoshop renditions and their role in the creative process, I consider them to be much more useful as exploratory tools rather than as benchmarks to be matched in the darkroom. I don't spend any time trying to polish a scanned/photoshopped image. Rather, I try a variety of "what if" scenarios, e.g. a high-key, low-contrast versus a low-key, low-contrast versus a full tonal-range rendition, etc. This challenges my initial visualization of the image and sometimes leads to surprising deviations (not always for the better), but it's an exploration that I enjoy. The finished darkroom print inevitably looks quite different from anything on my computer monitor and I don't worry about trying to reconcile those differences.

I've enjoyed these discussions and I look forward to more examples and thoughts.

All the best.
    Daniel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Daniel,

Thank you for the insight into your creative psych. I may have to re-evaluate the role of PS in my work flow.

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Diffusion under the enlarger

Bumping this thread. Hope to get some more examples of print interpretations.

Magnolia blossoms
    Japanese Tea Garden, Seattle Arboretum
    Seattle, Washington

The negative looked nice printed straight without diffusion, but didn't quite capture the mood I was after.

Negative: 6x6cm frame on TMY-2 developed in Pyrocat HD
    Print: 8x8" on Forte Polywarmtone paper
    • Base exposure: Multigrade filter 1.0, 20% without diffusion (sheet of translucent paper [Yupo]), 80% with diffusion material laid over the paper

• Burn exposure: Edges of the print were burned using a card 1/4 stop

• Processing: Developed in Ansco 130, water stop, rapid fixer

• Toning: Selenium toner (1:20) 30 seconds, thorough wash, brief bleach in ferricyanide, toned in thiocarbamide

The degree of diffusion can be controlled several ways: the relative length of exposure with and without the diffusion material; height of the diffusion material relative to the paper; contrast filter used during the portion of the exposure with diffusion. I jiggled the diffusion material during the exposure to create a softer effect.

Are people using other techniques to create diffusion effects? Would love to see examples.

All the best,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seattle Japanese Garden 11 neg post.jpg   Seattle Japanese Garden 11 post.jpg  
    Last edited by dlin; 07-08-2009 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    This is great - thanks Daniel.
    I'm a relative darkroom noob also, basically over the last year just finding my way around and producing flat prints. I'm now wanting to move into using burning/ dodging etc.
    If I may ask, what do you mean when you use the term burned in for a 1/4 stop or an 1/8 stop? The little I have done I've usually worked in seconds on different parts of the print.
    Apologies for such a basic question, but I feel I'm missing something here and can't quite get my head around it.
    thanks

Tony
    For more info on f/stop timing see;

http://www.darkroomagic.com/Publicat...stopTiming.pdf
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blimey! A blast from the past. Thanks for the pdf Ralph - looks interesting. A good reason to get back into the darkroom - been out of there for too long...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Terrific post - great job!
    Thanks
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Great thread Daniel! Don't know how I missed it first time around.

Thought I'd add one I was working on recently. Shot was made mid-morning, shooting southeast over the lake I believe. Sun was very bright with me shooting directly into it. Made with a 50mm lens covered by a 10 stop reducing ND filter. The scene looked nothing like I envisioned it in my head and I was unsure I could actually pull it off in the darkroom. Certainly not my favorite to print due to all the manipulation it takes, but I was very pleased with the final result. What is it they say about the pain going away on payday?

Left is raw neg scan, right is from an 8x8 inch print on Ilford Multigrade FB with a matt surface. Print is subsequently toned in a selenium / sepia split.
    Bill this is absolutely amazing, great job in the darkroom!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for reviving this thread, Daniel. Your latest prints are sublime (as they always are, and I am mad that I didn't get to see you at Photostock this year.... ).

Here is one of my examples. It is different from most examples here in that I actually remove detail from the print in the printing process, mostly to focus on the main subject matter.

The negative is Kodak Tri-X 400, time exposed in a Holga and a cable release. Processed in Pyrocat-HD to give me more printable highlights.

Print: Printed, slightly cropped, on Fotokemika Emaks G3 paper using Arista Liquid lith chemistry at 1+1+14 dilution, overexposed 1.5 stops in the enlarger for an increase in contrast compared to a straight print. The center portion of the sky was dodged with a round card for 15% of the exposure, and it looks a bit clumsy perhaps and that's because of the filter I used on the camera. It's a filter that's clear in the center and diffused on the edges.

The print was further burned in about 40% along the bottom, and the top left corner was evened out with a slight dodge as I wanted the flow of the image to resemble an 'S' from top right to center bottom, but without too much emphasis on the top left.
    The center of the image was kept intentionally lighter, because I wanted that brilliant light to really hit hard, and the bridge was turned into more of a silhouette at the burning stage.

The print was eventually split toned in sepia and selenium.

Thanks for a great thread that I missed the first time around.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008-06_03-01_Last_Bend_Holga_sm.jpg   Last_Bend_Three_Lith.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlin View Post

Are people using other techniques to create diffusion effects? Would love to see examples.

All the best,
    Daniel
    Hey Daniel, to answer your question about diffusion effects....the best way way I have seen to get diffusion is by using a tiffen fog filter 3 placed under the enlarging lens. If you desire a diffused image where the blacks get really diffused and turn almost "blob like" (i don't know how else to describe it)...then expose and develop to get a very contrasty negative and then use the maximum contrast setting in your enlarger.

I will pull out an old image and post it in this thread along with my notes. Great thread daniel.

Regards,
    John

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin