Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,015   Online: 820

Shooter
    35mm RF

uneven image size with focomat IIc

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone had any alignment advice...
    I am using a focomat IIc, my images seem to be slightly larger on one side than the other, slightly wedge shaped. I typically print full frame ( with borders), so correcting it by cropping is something I am not so interested in.
    and I can't find any obvious adjustment screws ...
    any tips?

Thanks,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sanjay,
    It sounds like you need to adjust the tilt. Google your enlarger model. I can remember a site which lists an English manual which should have the information you need.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Definitely your negative stage, lens stage and easel are not parallel. This needs to be adjusted.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As far as I know there is no alignment options for the IIC. That said often the post gets over tightened in the base and leans into the base slightly which causes just such a problem. Leitz used to sell a metal shim to place between the post bottom and base to prevent this strange problem. There is also a tilting negative stage which is an accessory that screws into the existing neg stage (at least for the IC). You may have one installed and not know it. I know its a longshot.
    Good Luck

I'd be interested to know if you do come across any alignment instructions for the IIC.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Chris.
    Interesting. I will investigate the tilt adjusting screw that you mentioned. I have the original manual for the IIc, but there is very little information in it. Nothing on adjusting the tilt, and surprisingly very little on setting the autofocus. It is basically useless.
    As you mentioned, I diagnosed the problem to be the column leaning to far forward, possibly from over tightening. So I corrected it with shims. Not Leica shims, though they seem to work.
    Images look square now, but it just seems so "un-Leica" to have not designed something in the mechanics to correct this.
    I'll let you know if I find anything.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The parallelogram design keeps everything lined up but the post-base interface is subject to unusual stress especially during shipping or storage. The IIC is especially heavy.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Did the later models not go to a plastic laminate base like the IC.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin