Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,176   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm

Besseler 23c II, having trouble with small prints

I have a Besseler 23c II that im using with a 50mm lens and I can't seem to make prints small prints (I would like to make 5x7s). The head is lowered as far as it wants to go... Its at a red mark on the rails, I think about 9 inches high and i'm assuming this is as low as its designed to go. Is there some other adjustment I'm missing or is some thing out of alignment? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What format are you using? I am going to assume it is 35mm film since you are using a 50mm lens. If so, did you set the condenser to the 35mm setting? Look on the the right of the condenser housing and you will see several film format settings and a black knob - you have to turn the knob to set the pointer to "35mm".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Odd. 5x7 is a standard size. A cure is longer
    focal length lens. I'm using 105mm on my
    6x9 Omega B8. Doing 31/2x5s is easy.
    BTW the condenser setting has
    nothing to do with image
    magnification. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might consider using a longer focal length lens. A 75 or 80mm will work fine for 35mm film and give you more leeway.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It should make be able to make a 5x7, but in the past with various enlargers, I have put the easel on a box to raise it.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just checked a 23CII w/ 50mm El-Nikkor f/2.8 and it will get down to about 2.75"x4" print. That is with the arrow aligned at the zero mark of the rail scale.

Joe

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    I just checked a 23CII w/ 50mm El-Nikkor f/2.8 and it will get down to about 2.75"x4" print. That is with the arrow aligned at the zero mark of the rail scale.

Joe

Joe
    I can't get the whole top assembly to move lower than the 9 mark on the rails (which is marked in red), is there some sort of lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23cII2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by help! View Post
    I can't get the whole top assembly to move lower
    than the 9 mark on the rails (which is marked in red),
    is there some sort of lock?
    Perhaps a stop is attached. Stop or not you'll
    find it easier to work small prints with a longer
    focal length lens; more room under the lens and
    realistic exposure times. Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The lock is the t-shaped bolt aligned with #5 in your picture. If you can move the carriage upward, the lock is not engaged. Any chance a cord may be hanging up from the top? Check the rail channel as well. I've had to place a wooden stop in the rail of a motorized 45M to keep students from smashing the carriage into the baseboard. Perhaps someone did something similar to yours. No teeth missing on the gear rack is there?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    The lock is the t-shaped bolt aligned with #5 in your picture. If you can move the carriage upward, the lock is not engaged. Any chance a cord may be hanging up from the top? Check the rail channel as well. I've had to place a wooden stop in the rail of a motorized 45M to keep students from smashing the carriage into the baseboard. Perhaps someone did something similar to yours. No teeth missing on the gear rack is there?
    Problem solved: There were a few pieces of tape on the inside of the rails preventing movement, thanks.

I appreciate all the replies!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin