Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,176   Online: 832
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3

    Besseler 23c II, having trouble with small prints

    I have a Besseler 23c II that im using with a 50mm lens and I can't seem to make prints small prints (I would like to make 5x7s). The head is lowered as far as it wants to go... Its at a red mark on the rails, I think about 9 inches high and i'm assuming this is as low as its designed to go. Is there some other adjustment I'm missing or is some thing out of alignment? Any input would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    238
    What format are you using? I am going to assume it is 35mm film since you are using a 50mm lens. If so, did you set the condenser to the 35mm setting? Look on the the right of the condenser housing and you will see several film format settings and a black knob - you have to turn the knob to set the pointer to "35mm".

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Odd. 5x7 is a standard size. A cure is longer
    focal length lens. I'm using 105mm on my
    6x9 Omega B8. Doing 31/2x5s is easy.
    BTW the condenser setting has
    nothing to do with image
    magnification. Dan

  4. #4
    Whiteymorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,264
    Images
    26
    You might consider using a longer focal length lens. A 75 or 80mm will work fine for 35mm film and give you more leeway.

  5. #5
    Jon Shiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Elk, California
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Posts
    2,477
    Images
    33
    It should make be able to make a 5x7, but in the past with various enlargers, I have put the easel on a box to raise it.

    Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

  6. #6
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97
    I just checked a 23CII w/ 50mm El-Nikkor f/2.8 and it will get down to about 2.75"x4" print. That is with the arrow aligned at the zero mark of the rail scale.

    Joe



    Joe

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    I just checked a 23CII w/ 50mm El-Nikkor f/2.8 and it will get down to about 2.75"x4" print. That is with the arrow aligned at the zero mark of the rail scale.

    Joe



    Joe
    I can't get the whole top assembly to move lower than the 9 mark on the rails (which is marked in red), is there some sort of lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23cII2.jpg  

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Quote Originally Posted by help! View Post
    I can't get the whole top assembly to move lower
    than the 9 mark on the rails (which is marked in red),
    is there some sort of lock?
    Perhaps a stop is attached. Stop or not you'll
    find it easier to work small prints with a longer
    focal length lens; more room under the lens and
    realistic exposure times. Dan

  9. #9
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97
    The lock is the t-shaped bolt aligned with #5 in your picture. If you can move the carriage upward, the lock is not engaged. Any chance a cord may be hanging up from the top? Check the rail channel as well. I've had to place a wooden stop in the rail of a motorized 45M to keep students from smashing the carriage into the baseboard. Perhaps someone did something similar to yours. No teeth missing on the gear rack is there?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    The lock is the t-shaped bolt aligned with #5 in your picture. If you can move the carriage upward, the lock is not engaged. Any chance a cord may be hanging up from the top? Check the rail channel as well. I've had to place a wooden stop in the rail of a motorized 45M to keep students from smashing the carriage into the baseboard. Perhaps someone did something similar to yours. No teeth missing on the gear rack is there?
    Problem solved: There were a few pieces of tape on the inside of the rails preventing movement, thanks.

    I appreciate all the replies!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin