Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,331   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drafting is another hobby of mine. I was just sitting and admiring my cameras one night when the idea for the enlarger popped into my head. I got out my drafting board, pencils and scaled rulers and went to town. The project would not be hard and would be fun to construct but I think I'll just keep hunting for a good used enlarger. Something will turn up.
    Thanks again for all the comments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The advice to seek out an enlarger is a good one.
    That said, I made a simple, but functional enlarger using my speed graphic a number of years ago.
    I found a coffee can that fit over the opened hood of the grafloc back. I cut a piece of black mat board to cover the end of the can with a rectangle cut out to fit over the hood, taped it to the can. I spray painted the inside of the can white, and mounted a bulb and fixture in the other end. This was the light source.
    For a negative carrier, I took a funky film holder and removed the metal piece that separates the two pieces of film. To use it, the negative slid in just like you were loading a film holder, popped in the back just as if you were loading a holder to take a photo.
    I set it up on a table facing a wall, put the paper on the wall.
    It worked better than you would think, but was hardly ideal. I was using the same 127 ektar to enlarge with that shot the picture, and alignment was tough.
    If I were to do it now, I would make an led light source like others here have, and build a vertical structure the camera could mount to, with a baseboard and all.
    Unless you just wanted a project, it would be much less hassle to find a D2 somewhere. They are cheap anymore.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wade, if you want to build an enlarger, then build a compact 5x7 enlarger, people may buy that!

4x5s are aplenty.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a line on an old elwood enlarger that looks promising. It's not complete but I can work with it. It appears to be a 5x7 so I can expand my horizons in the future. Hopefully this will pan out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Wade, if you want to build an enlarger, then build a compact 5x7 enlarger, people may buy that!

4x5s are aplenty.
    I'm not really in to designing enlargers but someone else may see this thread and run with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got the old Elwood. What a beautifully crafted enlarger. I'm going to enjoy printing with it. Just have to make a mask for 4x5 for the 5x7 carrier and update the light source. Fun stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin