Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,713   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Crown View as an enlarger?

I'm thinking of using my Crown View as an enlarger. I have drawn up plans for a light source and negative holder. It would be a horizontal setup as I don't think the tripod screw would support the weight in the vertical position. The camera would not be modified so I would still be able to use it for shooting.
    I had an ancient 4x5 enlarger that literally fell apart and can't afford a new one at this time.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it has a Graflok-type back, look for a Graflarger back or one of the Linhof enlarger backs (they made a cold light back and condensor backs). These aren't usually too expensive, and they convert a 4x5" (and in some cases 2x3") camera to an enlarger directly.

The old cold light heads like the Graflarger back have a significant ramp up time and don't have heater units like modern cold light heads, so it's best to use them with a compensating timer, like the Metrolux, or by leaving the light on and controlling exposure with a shutter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It should be much easier (with a little patience) to find a useable enlarger than adapt the camera to this use. Enargers might show up on Craig's List, garage sales, auctions, classified ads, etc. Many people won't even bother to advertise something with such modest value. Of course acquiring a ready-to-go enlarger will deny you the many hours of fabricating and perfecting the means of enlarging with the Crown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of the Graflarger but didn't know about the Linhof. I keep checking ebay and other sources but no luck yet. Most of the offerings for 4x5 enlargers are too expensive when the shipping weight is factored in.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wade,

There is a late Beseler 4x5 enlarger with a condesor head and a color head listed right now on the SanDiego Craig's List for $100.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pho/620736565.html

I'd make a vapor trail to San Marcos.

Shooter
    35mm
    I concur with Jim Jones & JBrunner: For the cost of a tank of gas and lunch I filled my station wagon with an Omega D5-XL with a Chromega Dichroic II head, power supply, Beseler analyzer, 2 lenses and about 90% of everything I need to set up a darkroom. The deals are out there. Go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Wade,

There is a late Beseler 4x5 enlarger with a condesor head and a color head listed right now on the SanDiego Craig's List for $100.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pho/620736565.html

I'd make a vapor trail to San Marcos.
    Thanks for the link. It is a 23CII which only accepts up to 2 1/4 x 2 3/4.
    I have inquired about it though since I have a lot of 35mm & 2 1/4 negs to print. Great price and close to home.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Thanks for the link. It is a 23CII which only accepts up to 2 1/4 x 2 3/4.
    I have inquired about it though since I have a lot of 35mm & 2 1/4 negs to print. Great price and close to home.
    Oops , your right, my bad, I didn't look close enough. But your right, it is still a great deal. Something like this in 4x5 will turn up, always does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wade -

i had a graflarger back years ago. they work well ..
    but often times when they are sold on ebOO, they are missing
    the negative carriers, and the light source is sometimes uneven
    or spent. aristo re-tubes and fixes them for $100 +/- dollars if you want to
    go that route. while it is fun to use a camera as an projector after building
    the light source or buying/retubing a graflarger, it might be more cost effective
    to buy an enlarger used. if you find one way-out-of-town you can usually have them
    wrapped + boxed and put in the cargo-hold of a greyhound bus and delivered
    to a local bus station to pick up. it doesn't cost very much $$ to ship that way.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Scope out Craigs List and you'll likely find a D-2 obscenely cheap or maybe even for the price of hauling it of the property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin