Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Dark red safelight for Adox Fineprint paper?

I am about to start seriously experimenting with fibre based papers for the first time. I ordered 3 types. One of them is 'Adox Fine Print Vario Classic'.

I realise now that this paper requires a 'dark red' safelight as it has a higher than average silver content. I have a Paterson red/orange safelight. Will this be OK? Has anyone used this paper and experienced any problems?

I don't think Paterson make a dark red dome for this light although they do list a 'copper/brown' version.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by mrtoml; 04-04-2008 at 04:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Split infinitive
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) Dim the light you have somehow. Point to a wall or cover with a thin red cloth (watch out for heat).
    2) In the DARK, pull out one sheet, tear it in half (or smaller). Put 1/2 back in bag. Put rest down on enlarger base board and put several large coins down in a pattern.
    3) Turn on safelight.
    4) Every couple of minutes, remove a coin (remember the pattern or mark with pencil). Try and do this for at least as long as you expect to have the paper out when working. Lets say 10 minutes.
    5) With the safelight OUT, develop both halves. Inspect after fix.

Look for fogging. Even though we didn't pre-flash this paper, you can get an idea if trouble is ahead. If the time seems quite long, say 10 minutes or more before fogging. Go back and test again but this time pre-flash the paper to simulate what could happen during an enlargement.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just started using this paper also (see this thread) and I've stuck with Kodak No.2 Dark Red over the dev dish and Kodak No.1A indirect lighting elsewhere.
    I've been turning on the overhead yellow/amber (Kodak 0C) for brief periods towards the end of development to get a better idea of the print. This doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I've not done the thorough safelight test given above - let me know if you do!
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your replies. When the paper arrives I will do some tests and post the findings.
    Mark Tomlinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never had any problem with fogging on this paper with an orange safelight. Nice paper

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Mark, as far as I remember Mirko said that there is quite a tolerance with the sensitizing dye(s) used (whatever this means and whatever the root cause is). One batch might be OK with orange, the next one not. See the spectral sensitivity curve here.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I found that the ADOX FB I use does not like the orange light I have so I only turn on the red one.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    SOme students are using this in our darkrooms lit with a Thomas safelight and having no fogging problems.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can also try printing without a safelight. I started doing this when I was printing color and just got used to it. It is handy to have a small flashlight with a red filter. Good luck.
    Cblkdog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all your replies. Very useful. The paper is due tomorrow so I will be able to give it a try.
    Mark Tomlinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin