Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,170   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for Recommendation

I'm pretty new to the forum (great by the way). I've always focused (pun intended) on B&W but strictly 35mm so far. I would like to venture into 4x6 and wondered if there's an enlarger that will handle both formats? If so, I would, for cost reasons, be looking at used equipment. Are there any makes or models, if they exist, anyone could recommend?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The Omega D2-V is a good model that is cheap and also the Beseler 45MXT. Both are widely used and so lots of parts and accessories are available on the used market.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general enlargers can take any format up to their maximum, but you'll need different lenses and negative carriers for each format. There are several Omega models that can go up to 4x5 they are all very similar, I think their D-5 model is the most current. There are lots of variations on the large Beselers as well.
    As Jon says, both the Omegas and Beselers are very common in the U.S. and are available for a small fraction of their original cost on ebay and Craigslist. On ebay, watch for auctions that are local pickup only that are within what you consider easy driving distance. Other good choices that aren't quite so common here are Durst, DeVere and Saunders/LPL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of these can work. The Dursts and De Vere's followed by the Saunders are nicer, though, than the Omegas and Beselers. Given the low cost of all of these, I recommend spending some time and getting one of the better ones. Mind you, you'll have to pay more attention that all of the accessories are there, as they can be hard to find. The great thing about, for example, a De Vere is that it's very easy to align all of the stages. I have three De Vere enlargers, and I love them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They all made a range of models. I like my Beseler better then my Durst.

If you can find it I'd suggest looking for a Beseler CB-7 like mine. Negative holders,lensboards and even heads from the other Beseler 4x5s can be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check craigslist in your area or Detroit.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the replies. I wondered if it was a matter of the larger formats would always be able to handle "down" with the correct accessory, but I wasn't sure. Lens difference makes sense also. Just don't have room for two enlargers and would always want to be able to handle 35mm.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, virtually all enlargers work with all film sizes up to their maximum (OK, maybe some exotic models don't, but you most likely won't find any of those ). Of course, you need different lenses and condensor/mixing chambers for particular film size...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have an LPL 4550 XLG (VCCE head) and I highly recommend it---it's an excellant enlarger for all formats from 4x5 down to 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're willing to drive just a bit, there's a good price on an Omega D-5 condenser enlarger in the Cleveland, OH area:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pho/627431917.html

35mm and 4x5 carriers included.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin