Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 698

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As David indicated in the design of enlarger/reprographic lenses lack of distortion is a major objective.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It's a myth that using the taking lens for enalrging will work. People may have done it if it was the only lens they had but you are not reproducing what happened at the taking stage unless you were doing macro photography.
    An enlarger is a macro camera which uses macro lenses. It takes a photograph of the negative and uses paper for its output film.

Will your lens focus on the film? If you use it the same way round as in your camera, then it would, but how far away would the paper need to be, to be in focus. And if you did it that way round you would magnify the barrel distortion as has alread been pointed out. If you reverse the lense would you be able to focus on the film? All depends on the type of lens but it won't work as well as a properly designed enlarging lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    bah! too bad that it just so happens that when it comes to wide angle lenses, the higher the distortion the sharper the lens and flatter the field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wide angle lenses are available which exhibit practically zero distortion, extreme sharpness and very flat field. They are used for aerial photography. Unfortunately they are very expensive.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Consider the discussion of a meniscus lens and whether the stop is fore or aft. One situation is supposed to have barrel distortion and the other pincushion. Hence the recommendation for one configuration as being less objectionable.

Now, if you had a symmetrical enlarger lens like a Componon or Rodagon, would this work? My Rodagon lens will allow me to unscrew one cell (the back?). Not sure about the front. The Componon is either uncooperative or too tight for me to tell.

Would this work, or would you gain more aberrations than would fix your 2% distortion? I don't know. Just an idea.

About a non-flat 'paper plane' (no pun) below your enlarger...some enlargers had accessory tilt tables...so is the projected field of an enlarger more tolerant of 'DOF' like the object side of a taking lens is compared to the image side ('depth of focus'), for the same reason film plane flatness is more critical than DOF?
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Printing a negative made with a lens having barrel distortion with an enlarging lens (or same camera lens) having barrel distortion will only double the effect.
    That's only true if you mount the lens the "wrong way" - negative facing the front element of the lens and the print facing the rear/mount end of the lens.

I'd use a rangefinder lens. They are usually free of pincushion distortion.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Andrey,

You are right. I was puzzled for a moment, then realizing that at least I have been looking at the wrong side of the issue, eh lens...

However in case of an enlarger lens (to which Jim was referring) the distortion would be referred to concerning the print side. Thus with an larger lens being reported to have barrel distortion a negative showing barrel distortion could not be compensated...
    Last edited by AgX; 04-14-2008 at 08:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    I'd use a rangefinder lens. They are usually free of pincushion distortion.
    that would solve the problem if only rangefinder lenses could focus closer. a lot of the photography i do has a nearby foreground object and its background. but you're right, rangefinder lenses do have an advantage when it comes to distortion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin