Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,220   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

colour head for split grade

This has got to be on the site somewhere, but I can't find it. A friend of mine would like to try split grade printing. She uses a colour enlarger for her B&W prints. What would be the colour requivalents of 00 and 5 with a colour head?
    (Yes, I am encouraging her to join APUG and ask her own questions)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    What would be the colour requivalents of 00 and 5 with a colour head?
    Maximum yellow for 00 (soft) and maximum magenta for 5 (hard). Different heads have different ranges, e.g., one will go to 150, another to 175, another to 199, etc. And, there are all kinds of opinions about whether or not one can achieve a "true" 0 or 5 with dicroic filters. But the bottom line when using this type of emlarger is to dial the yellow and magenta to their highest amount.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 30 Magenta for grade 2 on my enlarger.

PE

Images
    It really doesn't matter. Just use the max "yellow" for soft and the max magenta for "hard". In split grade printing the "actual" grades become a bit meaningless.

There are 2 "modern" subtractive color standards, Kodak and Durst. The major difference is the size of the density steps. If she really wants to know what max contrast ranges she is approximating, just research the standard used by the head. Most heads will give 00-0 soft, but only 4-4.5 hard. But again, the split grade concept makes this rather academic.

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    The Beseler Dual Dichro S head I use, IIRC, will only cover a contrast range from 1 to 4.5. If you check the manual usually you will find what color standard it uses and what filtration to give for various grades.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    There should be a paper slip which comes with the box of paper which tells you the amount of yellow and/or magenta to use for each grade. The numbers are usually specified for several enlarger makes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned crank yellow all the way for soft. Crank magenta for hard. Just spin the dials all the way.

Images
    I use 90 yellow for Grade 0 and 198 magenta for Grade 5 based on a conversion chart I found somewhere on the web. No filtration, 0y-0m-0c, equals Grade 2.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When trying split grade on the color head I actually preferred to use the 00 and 5 polycontrast filters. Moving the two color wheels back and forth was a pain in the @55. Switching the under lens filters is easier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

WBM

Sly,

To misquote Rumsfeld, your question to me was an "unknown unknown." I didn't know that I didn't know what "split grade printing" was until you asked the question. Anyway, this is what I found googling "split grade printing" Thanks for asking, now I am desperately looking for Way Beyond Monochrome so I can learn more.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin