Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,325   Online: 782

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Personally, I don't go above 5x7 for my 35mm negatives, no matter what the ASA of the film is. I tend to view at a close distance and I'm picky about grain, mostly because it ruins smooth creamy tones that I like so much - very subjective, I know. My personal gallery prints are all 5x7 (the negatives are 5x7 negs, but the prints for the most part are 35mm). Comments about viewing distance are true, too.
    I saw the one in Grand Central and it was great, but it was color which could always handle enlargements better than b&w silver negatives.

Just my $.02

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebwitwicki
    What is the largest print that can be enlarged from a 35mm negative? With 400 iso.
    I usually print 8x12 inches as it matches the proportions of the negative and the grain gets intrusive at larger sizes to my eye. I tend to do a lot of landscape work with plenty of sky so unobtrusive grain is important to me.

Adrian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO grain is a part of photography, it just exists.
    The content of the picutre comes first, then matching the tonality to the subject, then.... and finally grain
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    IMHO grain is a part of photography, it just exists.
    Grain is one of the things that put me into black & white. I saw a lot of great pictures in BW and wanted to make photo like those...and the grain was the thing that attracted me. Without the grain the picture would just be flat and boring...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grain is one of the things that put me into black & white.

Me too! That's one of the reasons I still shoot film. However, using the term 'too grainy' or 'too much grain' in my previous post might have been an inaccurate statement on my part. What I should have said was the larger I've gone in printing (from a 35mm neg) the less apparent some of the detail is. We have clean glass, sharp, in focus prints...but the larger you go, the less detail you will see in some of your print work. Again...this is speaking from an 'opinion' of our work in the darkroom. If you want billboard sized prints...go for it!!! Like most things in photography, it's what you want in the end.

Dorothy--

Images
    Most enlarging lenses for 35 mm are optimized for 10X IIRC. Below that magnification nothing much will be lost. Above it the losses might be perceptible, especially if the viewer is looking for such things.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it matters, here are some manufacturers' data for 35 mm full-format coverage lenses:

Rodenstock
    40/4 Rodagon-WA: 4x-20x (10x optimum)
    50/2.8 Apo-Rodagon-N: 2x-20x (10x optimum)
    50/2.8 Rodagon-G: 15x-50x (25x optimum)
    50/2.8 Rogonar-S: 2x-10x (4x optimum)

Nikon
    EL-Nikkor 40/4: 5x-30x (10x optimum)
    EL-Nikkor 50/2.8: 2x-20x (8x optimum)
    EL-Nikkor 63/2.8: 2x-20x (8x optimum)

Schneider
    50/2.8 Componar-S: 6x-10x optimum
    40/2.8 Apo-Componon HM: (no data available, but 'not bad' at almost any magnification from life size upwards!)
    45/4 Apo-Componon HM: (ditto)
    50/2.8 Componon-S: 2x-20x

For very high magnification you could always use a camera lens, of course.

Apart from my opinion of the Apo-Componon HM, it's only manufacturers' information, and only part of the story, but I had it handy so here it is.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    If it matters, here are some manufacturers' data for 35 mm full-format coverage lenses:
    Good post!!

I would, however, caution everyone against considering the "OPTIMUM" magnification as an "only" requirement. Optimum means "best" and indicates the design "target". The image will degrade, either way, from that optimum magnification, but neither sharply or severely.... translation: Not enough to give a damn. That is why there is an adjustable column on the enlarger, and the lens is capable of focusing.

I would not hesitate to use any of those within the mechanical limits of the enlarger.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebwitwicki
    What is the largest print that can be enlarged from a 35mm negative? With 400 iso.
    Today I could admire (some of them 100/150cm) baryte prints from Elliott Erwitt
    exhibition in Brussels (museum Botanique)
    He used also 35mm Tri-x.
    No problem to make huge prints of them.
    Very impressive photography.

Fred

Yes, this is the pertinent aspect of extreme enlargement. I have eight enlarging lenses from Rodenstock (now Linox) and the 105mm is (40X optimum) which is how I can print 36 x 48 from 35mm clean and nice.
    150- 20 x optimum
    300- 10 x optimum

and the other end I have 485mm which is good for originals up to 24 in and a 760mm which is good for originals to 30 inches before the dof is noticable.

JL

Quote Originally Posted by Helen B

Rodenstock
    40/4 Rodagon-WA: 4x-20x (10x optimum)
    50/2.8 Apo-Rodagon-N: 2x-20x (10x optimum)
    50/2.8 Rodagon-G: 15x-50x (25x optimum)
    50/2.8 Rogonar-S: 2x-10x (4x optimum)

Nikon
    EL-Nikkor 40/4: 5x-30x (10x optimum)
    EL-Nikkor 50/2.8: 2x-20x (8x optimum)
    EL-Nikkor 63/2.8: 2x-20x (8x optimum)

Schneider
    50/2.8 Componar-S: 6x-10x optimum
    40/2.8 Apo-Componon HM: (no data available, but 'not bad' at almost any magnification from life size upwards!)
    45/4 Apo-Componon HM: (ditto)
    50/2.8 Componon-S: 2x-20x

For very high magnification you could always use a camera lens, of course.

Apart from my opinion of the Apo-Componon HM, it's only manufacturers' information, and only part of the story, but I had it handy so here it is.

Best,
    Helen

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin