Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,134   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need Help with a Decision on an Enlarger

I did do searches, and found bits and pieces, but couldn't formulate all the info I was looking for. I shoot only B&W and currently, 35mm. I'm just returning to film after a long hiatus. My current enlarger is a Durst C35 but see the handwriting on the wall. I would like to find another enlarger (used, no problem with older equipment and it will save some $$) that could also handle 4x5 as I would like to try that down the road. Any suggestions as to what would be a good one to keep an eye out for?

B&W
    4x5 capable
    condenser head

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I did do searches, and found bits and pieces, but couldn't formulate all the info I was looking for. I shoot only B&W and currently, 35mm. I'm just returning to film after a long hiatus. My current enlarger is a Durst C35 but see the handwriting on the wall. I would like to find another enlarger (used, no problem with older equipment and it will save some $$) that could also handle 4x5 as I would like to try that down the road. Any suggestions as to what would be a good one to keep an eye out for?

B&W
    4x5 capable
    condenser head

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Dang! I have a like-new Beseler 23CIII condenser head in my basement that I no longer use since I bought an old DII and fitted it with a cold light head. I used it for 35mm & medium format, but 6x9 cm is is big as it goes. And we're close enough that we could do a handoff halfway across and avoid hefty shipping.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fire, thanks for the reply. Small world, my duaghter is a Hope graduate and my son-in-law is from Holland. I really want 4x5 capability though. I would like to give that (affordable view camera) a try.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose the two most popular/available choices would be DII or a Beseler 45 series.

Images
    Beseler 45VXL, in large part because the negative stage remains stationary. You have the choice of using several heads.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler 45VXL you can have for free if you come to pick it up. No light source, though. I do have a couple of lens boards, both the short and long extended focussing wands, and the instruction manual. I'm in Rochester. PM me if you're interested.

Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Omega D2s are easy to find, pretty cheap, and great to use. They're usually cheaper than the Beseler 4x5s, although I would prefer the Beseler all other things being equal.

I've had both and am now using a D2 and am VERY pleased with it.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler 45VXL you can have for free if you come to pick it up. No light source, though. I do have a couple of lens boards, both the short and long extended focussing wands, and the instruction manual. I'm in Rochester. PM me if you're interested.

A free Beseler VXL would be a very nice upgrade - I know I would jump at the chance to get one for the price of gas!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Showing more of my ignorance here, but how difficult would be to locate a light source?

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's easy to find a light source for either an Omega D2/DII or similar Beseler. Many light source heads have adapter rings to allow them to mount on either enlarger. There are a lot of used ones out there. Arista cold-light heads, the variable-condenser D2, fixed condenser, omega color heads, mornick color heads, ilford multigrade head, the minolta color head which you'd probably want to avoid, etc.

That's the advantage of an Omega or Beseler. Availability of bits and pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin