Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,186   Online: 879

Shooter
    35mm

Help with Multigrade 500 head

Greetings all,

I have just acquired an Ilford Multigrade 500 head along with the HEAVY linear power supply / voltage regulator and controller box in a lot of odd stuff. The difficulty is that someone mistreated the head and I think it needs some repairs:

1) When opening the front cover of the head, the plastic? assembly on the left which holds the colored filter against the halogen bulb is partially distorted and has obviously suffered a lot of heat. I suppose this must be due to the blower fans partially failing or something like that. (Haven't connected this to power). It probably could use another one of these assemblies.

2) Since I don't have a manual yet, I don't know what is supposed to be holding in the two colored filters in their little housings. I found them lying in the bottom of the head, apparently unhurt. This leads to..

3) One side had a glass rectangle which is smaller than the colored filters itself. Is this heat absorbing glass and if so why is it smaller than the colored filter? How is all of this supposed to fit together in a correctly working head? Perhaps someone out there could post a small picture of what things should be like.

Unfortunately, the other side which suffered the heat problem also ended up shattering the little glass rectangle and I would need a replacement there too. So there's two parts needed when you add in the distorted plastic filter housing.

Any good advice? Is this head too far gone and should I just look for another one? Anyone have a broken head for parts or a parts source? I'd hate to get rid of it as it is obviously a mighty fancy beast.

Cheers
    usuthu65

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

The Ilford MG 500 Head is a nice piece of kit but from what you say yours sounds to be well cooked due to cooling fan failier. I have just had a look at my 500H MG head and there are no plastic items in there but the glass filters sound much the same. I believe the H heads are later versions. The spares could be expensive as these heads have not been made or supported for quite a few years now but Odyssey Sales ( www.odyssey-sales.com ) may be able to help as they refurbish De Vere enlargers that use these heads. You can also buy a photocopied manual from Odyssey Sales (well I did for my head some years ago). The other items you have may be a probe that takes light readings from the baseboard and works through the associated keypad timer/controller. If you don't have the probe not to worry as it was an optional extra.

I hope this helps and that you manage to get the head going again.

All the best,

Neil.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There was a manual posted on the Ilford website - take a look for it there. The filter/bulb holder assembly is metal on my unit - they just hold everything together and I don't see why you couldn't rig something that would hold them yourself. The fan might be a larger problem to replace. I had a broken filter - you are lucky they are intact as they were not easy to replace - for the heat filter - try Edmunds - scientificsonline.com or Anchor -anchoroptics.com.

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks all!

Thanks for the Ilford tip - as always, they seem to be right on the ball and had all the relevant manuals.

Something is still a bit strange - from the 500H service manual, they have the attached exploded diagram for the filter and heat glass. This shows two pieces of heat glass (number 59 on the diagram) instead of just one for each side. (The parts count also shows "4" for the heat glass - two on each side). If someone has a 500H head, could you peek inside and see whether the heat glass elements overlap each other?

Personally, I'm just going to get a single square of heat glass for each side, but it's puzzling why they are using two pieces when one would do.

Cheers
    usuthu65
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500h filter plus heat glass.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by usuthu65 View Post
    Something is still a bit strange - from the 500H service manual, they have the attached exploded diagram for the filter and heat glass. This shows two pieces of heat glass (number 59 on the diagram) instead of just one for each side. (The parts count also shows "4" for the heat glass - two on each side). If someone has a 500H head, could you peek inside and see whether the heat glass elements overlap each other?

Personally, I'm just going to get a single square of heat glass for each side, but it's puzzling why they are using two pieces when one would do.

Cheers
    usuthu65
    Just had a look at my MG500 head and the heat filters look as if the just butt up against each other and don't seem to overlap.

I've had this head for a number of years which I purchased direct from Odyssey.

I must confess it does seem strange to use two pieces of heat filter side by side for each lamp rather then just one single piece. Perhaps its designed to make them more stable/durable with heat expansion.

Good luck with the repairs. Certainly a great piece of kit when its fully up and running. I'd be lost without it.

Regards,
    Trevor.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin