Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,372   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Durst L1200 and Masks

Is there anyone who is using a Durst L1200 and who is making unsharp ( or any other masks ) that depend upon precision registration? If so, I wonder if I might ask about the system that you are using. If I am correct, the Condit system is now gone. The two systems I see mentioned are those made by Lynn Radeka, and those made by Alistair Inglis. They are different in their approach. I note that Alistair's uses a carrier that is compatable with the AM version of the Femoneg-which I have. Is Lynn's receiver compatable with our Durst? Any advice appreciated.

Ed

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I don't think it is. The femoneg carrier has registration pins built in. With a punch of correct width, you can use the femoneg carrier as the registration unit. I beleive there was a punch available years ago, but they are extremely rare. More commonly there was a punch for the 138 but its too big for the L1200 carrier width. Your best bet is to have a simple punch fabricated which should cost less than any of the other systems.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    In fact, putting a piece of film in the femoneg over the top of the registration pins and closing the femoneg and pusing down on it, punches a hole through the film. So all you need is a strip of acetate or something similar and some non stretch adhesive tape and you have all you need for perfect registration.

Cut strip of acetate and pre punch and cut its width so that reaches to edge of negative when its on the registration pins. Then tape it to in position neg and its done. You can build as many layers as you need.

i.e. no need to buy someone elses system because the durst neg carrier has it built in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Durst made a punch that would place multiple 1.5mm holes and included the 127mm spacing required for the pins of the L1200 carrier. These punches are rare, but I have seen one or two on Ebay in the last 2 or 3 years.

The Alistar Inglis punch that I've used makes holes about 101.5mm apart. But I think Alistar makes several varieties of his punches, so he may have one with the hole spacing you need. Or he may be willing to make a punch with the exact spacing you need. Give him a call and talk about it.

Another option is Jens Jensen in Hillsboro, Oregon (Durst-Pro-USA). He makes a small punch, and he may have one with the correct spacing for the L1200. I've only seen his ads, but check his site or give him a call.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    In fact, putting a piece of film in the femoneg over the top of the registration pins and closing the femoneg and pusing down on it, punches a hole through the film. So all you need is a strip of acetate or something similar and some non stretch adhesive tape and you have all you need for perfect registration.

Cut strip of acetate and pre punch and cut its width so that reaches to edge of negative when its on the registration pins. Then tape it to in position neg and its done. You can build as many layers as you need.

i.e. no need to buy someone elses system because the durst neg carrier has it built in.
    Well, I'll be damned!! I had never thought of that, but I just tried it and it works perfectly. I guess this old dog learned a new trick today. Thanks, Rob!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Well, I'll be damned!! I had never thought of that, but I just tried it and it works perfectly. I guess this old dog learned a new trick today. Thanks, Rob!
    These Italian engineers new what they were doing

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    FWIW, the original Durst punch is called MIVALO it shows once in a while on *bay and is a very fine and nice piece of equipment.
    It is adjustable for different carriers and film size.
    Maybe this helps ....

Merci Georges....

As sugested above, if one goes to the Durst USA site, one notes the availability of a very sophisticated diagnonal punch. There is, so far, no information about how the "punched" negative fits on to the original femoneg with pins on the top of the negative carrier.

Ed

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    the neg goes inside the femoneg carrier. Onto the the pins which are inside the femoneg when you open it.
    It may be the case that you have an older femoneg carrier which doesn't have the pins already set in it. If that is the case, then you need to get a femoneg which does have the pins in it. That will be a lot easier that messing about with third party solutions as you can punch film using the neg carrier itself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    ......if one goes to the Durst USA site, one notes the availability of a very sophisticated diagnonal punch. There is, so far, no information about how the "punched" negative fits on to the original femoneg with pins on the top of the negative carrier.....
    Most punches, such as the MIVALO and the KODAK, are designed to be used with leaders. You tape the leader to the film, and punch the leader. That way, the pins in the negative carrier, such as the L1200, are outside the area of the glass.

The Durst USA diagonal punches are designed to punch holes directly on the negative margins. This system requires the negative carrier glass to have small pins installed which match those holes in the negative. Durst USA also sells the glass.

I don't think it is currently shown on the Durst USA site, but in the past Jensen also made a side punch to fit the L1200 negative carrier. Like the MIVALO and other punches, this requires using a leader taped to the negative.
    —Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin