Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,671   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    After reading the previous thread on split filtering, I would really like to try it.
    However, my Opemus III enalrger demands that I slide out the neg carrier to be able to change filters (I use an Ilford set), and I will loose registration between the two exposures.

I understand that it can be done by holding the filters between lens and paper, but my feeling is that this will degrade the print quality (If one will place a partially diffuse/reflecting surface in the lightpath, what for high quality lenses?).

Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

Jorge O

Filters are made for use below the lens. They are smaller and thicker than the sheets used above the negative. See this Calumet web page:

http://www.Calumetphoto.com/syrinx/c...type=SPDSEARCH

Images
    Does that enlarger have a built-in focusing device?
    Just curious.

Shooter
    35mm
    - The Opemus has a focusing slit, but I do not use it (same as with my stolen Durst 600).
    I prefer the grain focuser (easier to use).

- The Calumet bookmark is not working for me, but if it refers to the Kodak polymax frame mounted filters (or equivalent), that was the reason for my question.
    One picks the best optical glass filter to place in front of the taking lens and then a fairly cheap plastic/gelatin one to place in front of the enlarging lens?
    Well, then an el cheapo enlerger lens would be OK, why a top Nikkor, Schneider, Rodagon?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use split-grade printing with my Durst 138S - simply because I have condensors instead of a power supply for my CLS 201.
    What I use is actually yellow and magenta gel filters from Cokin - not exactly top notch... But I haven't seen any degradation of the image yet!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    -
    One picks the best optical glass filter to place in front of the taking lens and then a fairly cheap plastic/gelatin one to place in front of the enlarging lens?
    Well, then an el cheapo enlerger lens would be OK, why a top Nikkor, Schneider, Rodagon?
    I always thought that gel filters are actually better then glass filters in terms of optical quality. Kodak 3"x3" filters aren't exactly cheap either. They seem cheaper then the high end glass filters but how long will one last? Glass filters seem to last almost forever.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used brand X blue and green gels for several years under the lens of my 5x7 Elwood and I never saw any degrading of the image. I finally bought a used Aristo 4500 VCL from Midwest Camera Exchange. Now I don't have to worry with filters

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, guys

I will give the Ilford filters a try under the lenses.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm not familiar with your enlarger but heres what works for me. i have an Omega D2 and use split filter printing a lot....first i insert the neg. carrier , then i place two 3" c'clamps at opposite corners of the neg. carrier securring the neg. at this point you can raise and (carefully) lower the head sliding filters inbetween as needed. i use an Aristo cold light and have removed the frosted diffusion..this i tape to the top of the neg. carrier..then the cc filter on top of that. ya have to be a bit carefull but it works great and is certainly a "poor man's " rig..
    cr frank

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Frank

I will take a good look at the Opemus and see what can be done.

Maybe I can place the filters between lamp and condenser? That would be easy, but then there is lamp's heath.

Jorge O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin