Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help with Beseler 23CII XL enlarger

I think I have figured out why some people have more than one enlarger in their darkroom.

I want to be able to print both 35mm and 6x7 negatives with my enlarger. I have a Beseler 23CII XL which I bought used with a 50mm Nikon lens mounted to the lens board. I've since started MF photography, and so I bought a 90mm Besler lens. It fits in the same lens board, and the jam nut/retaining ring is the same. But heck if it wasn't a chore to change the lens out. Now, I'm a complete novice, so maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. Let me know if this is the proper procedure:

The lens board is held in place with two brackets, each with 2 Phillips head screws. I unscrewed the bottom bracket to remove the lens board, and out popped a piece of metal that was there to apply pressure to the lens board to hold it in place. Changing the lens on the lens board was easy. Putting it back together was a nightmare. I finally had to tape the lens board to the stage so it wouldn't slip out, then tape the metal pressure piece in place in order to get the bottom bracket in place to screw it back in. Without tape, I would have needed at least 5 hands to do the job. Seriously, is this the only way to change the lens on the enlarger? Next time, I will remove the top bracket, at least that doesn't have the little pressure piece to have to put back on. Any hints on a better way to change out the lens? I will be switching between 35mm and 6x7 very often... possibly a few times a week. I can't see going through all this every time I change formats.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The lens board mount is spring loaded. All that is necessary is to push the lens board toward the rear of the enlarger and the board will pop out, front edge first.
    It wouldhelp to buy a second lens board on which to mount the second lens.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's spring-loaded anymore. Since that spring popped out when I took it apart, it keeps popping out of the bracket.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I finally figured it out. I was putting the spring back in the wrong direction. Geez... an entire night. But, now I see how to properly insert and remove that lens board. Thanks, Jim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One other cool thing; if you ever want to go to large format the 23c lense board is interchangable with the Bessler 45 series.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I just bought a second lens board and retaining ring, so now switching back and forth should be easy peasy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can make your own lensboards out of 1/8" hardboard. I have a 23C and a 45MXC. I use the 23C for colour, and the 45MXC for B&W. Not only are the lensboards interchangeable between the two enlargers, the lensboards also fit one of my speed graphics. Some enlarging lenses are surprisingly good when used as a taking lens. Most are so-so, and some are just plain terrible. Make yourself some lensboards and buy some cheap enlarging lenses and have fun!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryhill View Post
    Well, I just bought a second lens board and retaining ring, so now switching back and forth should be easy peasy.
    This is exactly the same situation I had! I got a second lens board and life was considerably easier! Then, I found a second enlarger, just like the first, and life was a dream!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twin Beselers on counter.jpg  
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While lenses ARE interchangeable,
    they are not necessarily aligned when you have changed them.

Furthermore, fine focussing with the 23c is not as accurate with a
    50mm lens as it is with a 75 or 100. The focus gears are too coarse
    to fine focus a 50, and most folks have to adjust the enlarger pretty carefully
    to get the most from it.

On the other hand, you can probably get really good 6x8 prints from 35 without knocking yourself out.
    11x14s will be a bit of a trial. BUT if you put just a touch of lapping compound on the gears,
    work it gently, and clean it, you'll improve its personality a LOT.

Old timers often used an adjustable lens board to fully align the lens on a Beseler enlarger, and Fred Picker used to sell them. Cap screws work well. I made lots of them, and either 3 or 4 screws work well.

It looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beseler adjustable lens board.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    While lenses ARE interchangeable,
    they are not necessarily aligned when you have changed them.

Furthermore, fine focussing with the 23c is not as accurate with a
    50mm lens as it is with a 75 or 100. The focus gears are too coarse
    to fine focus a 50, and most folks have to adjust the enlarger pretty carefully
    to get the most from it..
    I've never heard this one before, the 23C is simple and easy to focus with any lens, maybe you need a better focusing aid, or your printing with the lens wide open. Light fall-off is a bigger (real) issue, and larger film (4x5) requires more care in keeping it flat and aligned.

Not that there is a specific lens board for 100mm lenses - with extension - to correct the focusing range for that lens.
    Last edited by panastasia; 05-08-2008 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin