Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,579   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

looking for "Small" 4x5 enlarger

Hello Everybody.
    I have a very small dark room, where I currently have a durst m800 installed (takes up to 6x9). I had to saw a bit off the top of the column to make it fit, but it works fine. I have a 5x7/4x5 sinar norma, and just got a 4x5 wista field camera, that I'm absolutely crazy about. Untill now I've mostly done contacts from my 5x7 negatives, and have hardly used 4x5. But now, since I got the wista I really want to use and enlarge 4x5.
    So my question is this:
    Is there a 4x5 enlarger out there, that is no bigger than my durst m800?

Which would mean:
    a baseboard no longer than: 51 cm wide (20,4 inches), 58 cm deep (23,2 inches). and a colum height of max 93 cm (37.2 inches).

Thanks
    Mads Hartmann

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Mads

Out of interest, I measured my Durst CE1000, and the column is 110cm - it needs to be, to get a 5x enlargement out of a 150mm lens for 4x5" - otherwise the column could well be shorter (not that you could "cut it down" without re-engineering the winding system). The baseboard is neither here nor there - it only needs to be stable enough to hold the column and head, and have enough surface to usefully place paper or easel, so that could easily be cut to fit a given space.
    Good luck!!

Marc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mads,

I'd be interested in the answer to this one too, I have some similar height issues in my "dark-shed"

Marcus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Marc
    Thanks for your answer.
    I should have mentioned this, but I will only be enlarging to 8x10, since my darkroom can't handle prints that are any bigger. (it's aprox 2 square meters).
    I always get confused with the x factor. Since 8x10 is four times as large as 4x5 but it's only a 2x enlargement right?

Best Regards
    Mads

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mads
    Some of the locals mentioned Liesegang enlargers at our meeting in Frederiksvaerk. Try and Pm KajF
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loman View Post
    So my question is this: Is there a 4x5 enlarger out there, that is no bigger than my durst m800?
    Sure:

Attach the column to the wall at a height that the head doesn't hit the ceiling. Use a table of some sort to hold the paper. If the table can have it's height adjusted then you have a lot of flexibility in print size.

A typical arrangement is to put work surfaces/cupboards on both sides of the enlarger and have a sheet of plywood that fits into the space between the cupboards. The sides of the cupboards have strips at several heights and the plywood slides in and rests on the pair of strips. All sorts of variations are possible.

The smallest enlarger head is probably a Graflarger head attached to the back of your Wista. There is somebody using a small light-box/tablet and a Shen Hao http://pig.sty.nu/wiqi/large-format-enlargement.html
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    Hi Mads

Out of interest, I measured my Durst CE1000, and the column is 110cm - it needs to be, to get a 5x enlargement out of a 150mm lens for 4x5" - otherwise the column could well be shorter (not that you could "cut it down" without re-engineering the winding system). The baseboard is neither here nor there - it only needs to be stable enough to hold the column and head, and have enough surface to usefully place paper or easel, so that could easily be cut to fit a given space.
    Good luck!!

Marc
    I don't know if my 1000 is the same model or not. But on my 1000 under the baseboard is a metal setup to hold the baseboard. You could shrink the baseboard a little but not very much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW if you're short of room print drums might let you go up in size. A single 11x14 or even bigger doesn't take up that much room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

the smallest 4x5 enlarger you will find is
    a 4x5 camera and a graflarger back.
    the graflarger backs were a light source ( cold light head )
    sold by graflex that is designed to go on the back of any camera
    with a graflock back. all that is needed is a copy stand and the camera.

the graflarger backs can be found on eBoo from time to time,
    and can be re-tubed by aristo for about 100$usd.

-john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

I have a low table and Omega D2. The table is about 22 in high and very sturdy, 4x4 legs 2x4 solid planked top with plywood cover. Cross bracing on the legs.

This get the machine lower than the ceiling. I can sit on a small stool to enlarge or stand and use a removeable 12" tall shelf over the baseboard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin