Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,613   Online: 887

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    #24, April 1980. Even 28 years later the information and technique are worth studying. Brash, bordering on arrogant and full of himself Fred still managed to convey useful information in a no frills way that helped many a tyro on the path they now tread.

Anybody that actually set their tripod and camera up 50 times before they went out the first time benefited enormously from the exercise and if you didn't learn "different is not the same" and "Try It", you just weren't listening!

A searchable file would be pretty neat to have. I'll be curious to see where this goes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've asked Paul Hashimoto at Calumet and I also sent a mail to the address listed at fredpicker.com in the hopes that Andy Simonds (Fred's nephew) will still receive it. I will post any answers to the copyright question here. Jeremy, hosting the OCR'd newsletters at the university would be an excellent solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Calumet owns the rights. Good luck.
    Best thing to do is borrow someones set.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have the complete set as well and waited patiently each month for them.
    I have never let them out of my sight.
    Those newsletters were the best thing going at the time, and actually this site APUG reminds me very much of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I received a reply from Paul Hashimoto from Calumet, he said I should direct the copyright request with a formal letter to the CEO of Calumet, Mr. David Drew. I will do so and post the response here if and when I receive one.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by darekj View Post
    I just checked my copy, the last one is #83 dated in 1995. In the very last paragraph, Fred is saying that this is the last copy of his newsletters.
    I have newsletters #1 thru #82 in two Zone VI 3-ring binders, my subscription ran out @ #82, I missed the last issue. What did I miss in terms of technical info or technique - or was #83 just a farewell note to subscribers?
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Those newsletters were the best thing going at the time, and actually this site APUG reminds me very much of them.
    I've had the same uncanny experience last summer when I read them all. My dad collected them since day 1 until the final one where he discusses "electronic photography."

The interesting thing for me was to read them after having encountered APUG and the other photo forums. So much of what is discussed and argued here and on other forums has its equivalent in Picker's newsletter. Reading the newsletter was like reading a part of the latent content of APUG's collective mind.

There are also interesting historical tidbits, like a letter from a then "young and upcoming photographer" called Brooks Jensen...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    http://www.jbhphoto.com/articles/znindex.htm is an online index of newsletter articles (strangely, #82 is not listed)
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I subscribed to them at the time and have read and re-read them many times, from beginning to end. Besides being a delightful writer, Fred was a very good teacher and his techniques, tips, and war stories are outstanding! I will continue to re-read them and have even referenced a number of them that I keep going back to on toning, fixing, and other areas of concern.

His videos are also superb. I strongly recommend getting all his vids, newsletters, his book on the Zone System, and even his photo books if you can find them. They're well worth the investment and the best "photo course" out there as far as I'm concerned.

They do come up on eBay from time to time and usually for decent prices, considering how much info you're getting. They really are a superb reference source and will never be outdated.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I just acquired an almost full set of Zone VI newsletters. I seem to be missing issues Number 49 and Number 78.
    Does any one have extras of these to sell, or could someone make me a copy? (I'll gladly cover copying and postage!)

I have extras copies of Issues 2, 3, 50, and 73 if anyone is interested.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin