Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,439   Online: 889

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There was a person selling a CD containing the newsletters on the auction site. When Calumet found out, they sent their lawyers after the seller and the item quickly vanished from the site. Yes, Calumet does own the copyright to the newsletters.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's just my commercial naivety but if Calumet have the copyright but seem to have no intention of making commercial use of it why prevent a free exchange of useful info. If there's a demand for the Picker Newsletters then you'd expect Calumet to try and cash-in on it and if there isn't, then why stop the dissemination of information.

I have to laugh at such expressions as "free enterprise", "laissez faire economics" the "hidden hand", " a free society" etc with reference to the capiltalist system when what we are talking about is the objective of that great old game called "Monopoly"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am bolstered by this dictum by Fred Picker:
    "No running water, No agitation! Archival washing
    requires time, clean water, and Print separation."

I've practiced the method for years but have
    only recently read of and enjoyed Fred's
    endorsement. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just received a reply from David Drew, they are considering the matter and will get back to me soon. His note sounds encouraging!

Best regards,
    Hal

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    I just received a reply from David Drew, they are considering the matter and will get back to me soon. His note sounds encouraging!

Best regards,
    Hal

Well done and that applies whether you are successful or not in the end. Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to keep everyone up-to-date, I have sent Calumet information about Jeremy's UNT digital library site and have an appointment for a telephone conversation with Brendan Sullivan (CMO of Calumet) for this coming Tuesday afternoon. I'll post a summary of the results of that conversation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would speculate that Calumet views the market for this material as sufficiently small that it's not worth the trouble for them to package it for sale. I would agree with that. I'd also speculate that it annoys the heck out of them when someone else illegitimately profits from their copyright. As it should. Making this available material on a free archive is an excellent solution. It undercuts the ability for anyone to sell copies and earns Calumet some good will for something they're not making any use of.

Good luck!
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,
    I spoke with Brendan Sullivan today (CMO of Calumet). He said that Calumet is currently working on some commercial materials which may use some of the Fred Picker material including perhaps the Newsletters and videos. So the request to release this material to the public is somewhat premature.
    Brendan said that later on in the year after this project has been completed it might be possible to publish this material for free as we discussed. We have a date to speak about it again on Oct. 3, 2008.
    Hal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm bumping this to see if the conversation on 3OCT08 happened. I've heard good things about Fred's newsletter and I wouldn't mind seeing it available again.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if anyone would volunteer to edit the wheat from the s - - - in putting out a new set. Just eliminating "The best damn . . . ." would seem a somewhat herculean task. Particularly in view of the various very excellent books, i.e."Way Beyond Monochrome", "Post Exposure" etc. most of which are, to coin a phrase, "Way Beyond Zone VI".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin