Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,043   Online: 1060

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred put out a very nice book of his own.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyMoose View Post
    I'm bumping this to see if the conversation on 3OCT08 happened. I've heard good things about Fred's newsletter and I wouldn't mind seeing it available again.
    Calumet expressed an interest, but then none of my phone calls or emails were returned as the particulars were being worked out. I'm focusing on completing the digitization of Camera Work right now and then I'll try and enter into the conversation again with Calumet. Also, we're updating our digital library system over this summer so we wouldn't be adding any such a collections until after the upgrade is complete.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Calumet expressed an interest, but then none of my phone calls or emails were returned as the particulars were being worked out. I'm focusing on completing the digitization of Camera Work right now and then I'll try and enter into the conversation again with Calumet. Also, we're updating our digital library system over this summer so we wouldn't be adding any such a collections until after the upgrade is complete.
    Thank you for the attempt!
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
    CAPT. John Parker, Massachusetts Militia. 19APR1775

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting stuff.
    I am new to this scene so take my comments with a grain of salt. I know photographers (and other artists) are very sensitive about copyright blah blah blah. Personally, I am against all forms of copyright. That's not going to elicit any warm feelings on here, I know.
    It seems a crime that there is this information out there that people have to wait for some corporation to grant rights for it to be released. Absurdity is the word that comes to mind. If I had a copy of these newsletters, you can bet I'd scan them and put them on bittorrent ASAP. Knowledge should be free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudhands View Post
    Interesting stuff.
    I am new to this scene so take my comments with a grain of salt. I know photographers (and other artists) are very sensitive about copyright blah blah blah. Personally, I am against all forms of copyright. That's not going to elicit any warm feelings on here, I know.
    It seems a crime that there is this information out there that people have to wait for some corporation to grant rights for it to be released. Absurdity is the word that comes to mind. If I had a copy of these newsletters, you can bet I'd scan them and put them on bittorrent ASAP. Knowledge should be free.
    Do you make your living by producing copyrighted works?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    What do you think? Obviously not. Is it impossible to make a living producing works that are not copyrighted? As a compromise, I suggest copyleft. Check the wiki.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What? Making a living?!! Eddy, where have you been? This is an idyllic society where horizons are straight, clouds converge in timely fashion to add drama and reduce flare, Hasselblads are free and no one ever takes your Kodachrome away!!!! Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

For the record, I'm not partial to either side of the impending argument. It's great that we all love photography even though we view so many other things from vastly different perspectives.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format

Murphy's Law will see to it.

This was an interesting read, but pie in the sky. I predict that Calumet will release Fred Picker's newsletters, when there is NO Longer any interest in them. Murphy's Law will see to it. Such is the speed at which a corporation moves.
    Sometimes merely having a thing is satisfaction enough to a corporation.

And as far as the death of Kodachrome. This is the beginning of the end of Kodak.
    This is a company, that can only show a profit, by discontinuing product & firing workers. Kodachrome is just another example in a long history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanishing Point Ent. View Post
    This is a company, that can only show a profit, by discontinuing product & firing workers.
    This seems to become the case of most big ones. I worked for several companies, and most of them would even sell the factories themselves so that they can show profit and earnings per share... Just wondering what happens when they'll have sold all the facilities ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's fair to say that Calumet bought Zone VI because of the name, not because they wanted to extend Fred Picker's legacy.

As for Kodachrome, if enough of us film users were buying enough of it that it was more than .x percent of their film sales, Kodak would still be making it.

Kodak can't afford to produce Kodachrome for no profit, any more than any of us can afford to sell the products of our labors for nothing, whether it's time, prints, words, or widgets.

Neither can any of us afford for someone else to rip-off what we've produced to sell it cheaper.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin