Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,540   Posts: 1,572,767   Online: 920

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Pinhole
    One of the Fred Picker newsletters described a workshop activity where he sent folks out with a Polaroid camera to shoot within an old bus. Does anyone have that issue? Thanks.

Joel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there any follow-up on Calumet's position on this? I've got a set that goes to #61 but would like to see the rest of them somehow. I recall this old thread and had forgotten it over time....
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Digital Negs

The final Zone VI newsletter

I am looking for a copy of the final Zone VI newsletter. I got a hit on this site that indicated you might have one.

THanks.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this thread is very old, however, which newsletter ? I have the whole set.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you looking for a copy to purchase? Or just the scanned contents to read?

I was an original subscriber and still have my complete set, including some of the follow-on Calumet replacements. The first issue was in August of 1973. The final issue (announcing Fred's resignation) was #83 in September, 1995. It begins with a quote from Salvador Dali. I still read them beginning to end every couple of years. I like his curmudgeonly outlook on photography.

I'm not willing to sell my originals. But I would be willing to scan a few missing issues for you to read, just to fill in any holes. I've done this for others.

PM me (click on my name to the left and choose Private Message), if interested.

Oh, and welcome to APUG.

Ken

[Edit: Looks like Ann is also willing to help...]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-27-2012 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I too have the complete set, they will make great reading someday , to revisit Fred's notes.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    #24, April 1980. Even 28 years later the information and technique are worth studying. Brash, bordering on arrogant and full of himself Fred still managed to convey useful information in a no frills way that helped many a tyro on the path they now tread.

Anybody that actually set their tripod and camera up 50 times before they went out the first time benefited enormously from the exercise and if you didn't learn "different is not the same" and "Try It", you just weren't listening!

A searchable file would be pretty neat to have. I'll be curious to see where this goes.
    Usually anyone worth studying or emulating can be brash and arrogant. The trick is to set that stuff aside and glean what useful bits you can. I hope you guys can pull this off, I've wanted to at least read his newsletters.

Steve

Hi Marv!

P.S. Missed the origination date of this thread, oh well.
    Last edited by scheimfluger_77; 09-28-2012 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I have 1 thru 54 but would like the complete set or those that are missing, copy or scanned or what ever I can get.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbald View Post
    I have 1 thru 54 but would like the complete set or those that are missing, copy or scanned or what ever I can get.

Thanks
    I have been pretty consistent over the years in being willing to supply rough scans of the occasional missing issue for individuals to read. But I have been equally consistent in not offering to supply the entire series, or large portions of it.

The reason is that I am not the copyright holder, and placing a full or major partial set out into the wild almost guarantees it will show up somewhere for sale. That's just the reality of Internet Thinking these days. Others can do it if they like, but I ethically choose not to.

In the recent past Calumet Photographic was the legal copyright holder, having originally purchased the Zone VI Studios business directly from Fred Picker upon his retirement for health reasons. At least that's my understanding.

Since Calumet subsequently filed for bankruptcy, their assets have been purchased by C&A Marketing Inc., who presumably have now become the legal holders of that copyright asset. They are currently attempting to restructure Calumet and have been reopening a small number of stores again in the Chicago area.

A number of attempts were made in the past to persuade the original Calumet to publish the full set of newsletters. To my knowledge, nothing ever came of those attempts. Perhaps because they were quietly dealing with bigger fish existential issues? I don't know.

But now, given that C&A Marketing is currently trying to make a new go of it, perhaps if someone were to approach them with the idea of commercially publishing Mr. Picker's newsletters in full, they might have more of an incentive to look into it?

Money talks...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 10-13-2014 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin