Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,901   Online: 953

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fred Picker's Zone VI Newsletters

I know that Fred Picker's newsletters were somewhat controversial but I really like his writing style and have learned many a good tip from his books and videos.
    I have seen the newsletters occasionally on that auction site but for exorbinant prices. I want to read them, not collect them. I asked Calumet but they replied that they don't have any back issues left. So I am wondering if anyone knows of a PDF version or if someone with a set of these gems could provide one?
    Thanks,
    Hal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have issues 1 - 69 sitting on my desk I was planning on digitizing so that I could make them text searchable for research. Does anyone know if Picker sold the copyrights to the newsletters to Calumet along with the rest of the Zone VI items or is there someone I could ask about this other than Calumet? If I can get approval from the copyright holder I will put them up online for free.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeremy, I will ask the guy at Calumet who told me they don't have them anymore. I am fairly certain that Fred Picker sold the rights to them. I'll post the answer here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have all the issues in .PDF... very good quality. But as Jeremy mentioned... copyrights is something we need to be careful about. Is there any way we can check in to it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I thought I had the complete set, which went to number 79. Later, somewhere, I heard there were more issues. Does anyone know how many issues there are?
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just checked my copy, the last one is #83 dated in 1995. In the very last paragraph, Fred is saying that this is the last copy of his newsletters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have almost all of them, they are the best damm newletters period.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a set a while back with 3 or 4 missing issues... Even bought the small binders to fit at Staples. I have read them many times and agree, they are the finest newsletters. Fred Picker's printing video is also outstanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darekj View Post
    I just checked my copy, the last one is #83 dated in 1995. In the very last paragraph, Fred is saying that this is the last copy of his newsletters.
    I have the full and complete set, as an original subscriber. Got 'em more-or-less one per month over the years. The above mentioned issue is indeed the final one. There was a short-lived followup newsletter launched by Calumet, but it didn't last. I have all of those as well.

I even have Fred's final going-out-of-business newsletter supplement for the remaining stock of his cameras. Too bad I was a poor student at the time, or I might have upgraded. But I do still have my early, early Zone VI (Wista DXII) field camera. This was way before the Ron Wisner chapter was written.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Calumet does have the copyright and are willing to allow the non-commercial rights to the newsletters I can host them through my university's digital library where they will be OCR'd (optical character recognition for those who don't know) which will allow them to be fully text searchable and hosted in a manner much more user-friendly than the .pdf.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin